At a loss! Need advice on deceased tortoise

sthoh879

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi everybody! I know it’s strange to ask this on here but I’m looking for some advice or something along those lines. A couple of years ago I took in a very very large sulcata tortoise in need of a home. A bad storm hit a few weeks ago and took down part of my fence and she escaped. Despite searching and informing everyone that she was missing no one had seen her until this evening. Someone messaged me about a deceased tortoise in a drained canal not far from my house. I went out and looked and it is my girl Lily. It looks like someone may have hit her and then somehow got her off the road and into the canal. She is very large and extremely heavy after climbing down into the canal I wasn’t able to budge her at all and barely managed to crawl myself out. The police and shelter have said they can’t help me. I don’t know what to do. The idea of her being out there is making me feel awful. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
That's immensely sad story. I'm very-very sorry about your loss.

The only idea I have is to ask some of your neighbors to help. And then use tow straps to wrap around her body (X shape) and tie them to another tow strap and to the car. And slowly pull her out with a car and one man in the canal pushing from below. You may wrap her in a blanket, to reduce the damage (should be doable when lifted a bit).

COmtnLady

Colorado
This is so very sad. {{{hugs}}}

Do you have a veterinarian you are on good terms with? Call them and explain the situation. Perhaps they know someone who has all the equipment. I live near ranch and farm country and there are vets and large animal disposal people who could do what needs done, but all the ones that I know are 1,800 miles from you.

If that doesn't work and if the sides of the canal are concrete :
Check with a mechanic (if you're friends with one), or one of those rental places that has everything from tools to wedding/party tables and such. They should have a dolly or "creeper" (wooden or metal frame with wheels about the size of a grocery store cart's). If you can get it under her somehow, then use the tow straps like Alex said above.

If the sides are dirt : try putting a sheet of wood, or smooth metal sheeting under to use as a skid, again with the tow straps as above.

One thing with tow straps, its important to keep them as flat as possible. And with that much weight, you would never get a knot undone again, so keep that in mind with how you secure them.

Last edited:

baker4ray

Braidwood Illinois
Hi everybody! I know it’s strange to ask this on here but I’m looking for some advice or something along those lines. A couple of years ago I took in a very very large sulcata tortoise in need of a home. A bad storm hit a few weeks ago and took down part of my fence and she escaped. Despite searching and informing everyone that she was missing no one had seen her until this evening. Someone messaged me about a deceased tortoise in a drained canal not far from my house. I went out and looked and it is my girl Lily. It looks like someone may have hit her and then somehow got her off the road and into the canal. She is very large and extremely heavy after climbing down into the canal I wasn’t able to budge her at all and barely managed to crawl myself out. The police and shelter have said they can’t help me. I don’t know what to do. The idea of her being out there is making me feel awful. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Where are you located

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @sthoh879,

I am so so sorry. Have you tried contacting a vet's or animal sanctuary.

Hugs

Natrah

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. Not the kind of "found your tortoise" news one wants
I would get a couple men if possible and try to roll her onto a sled type thing/board/ etc and tow her up using tow straps.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I feel terrible....I am so sorry for you. You need a skid. A car hood or something like it to put under the Tort. then pull her up. Even a snow sled will work. I wish her and you the best, again I am so sorry for you.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This wasn't strange at all. We all LOVE our torts. and yours. Anything we can do for either of you is not strange nor a dumb question, It's what we're here for. It's obvious your heart is full of love for her. ANYTHING I can do I will. Where in CA are you? I am in Kern County.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh gosh, I'm so very sorry this happened. Can you try rolling her up the side of the bank? I totally understand why you don't want to leave her there. If you can't get anyone to help you, maybe you can dig her grave right there. But if the area ever has water running through it, be sure to dig it deep and place large rocks on it.

KiraBeckham

Fort Collins, Colorado
Hi, This might work for your sad situation. Home depot or Lowes sell furniture sliders. They are flat feet type things you can place under heavy furniture that make moving it easier. It might work in the canal to get them under her and tow her out. Or, ypu can take a thick tarp, doubled, slide it under her (maybe grease it. And then hook it to tow straps and pull her out. Also, a large animal vet or local wildlife organization may be able to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi, This might work for your sad situation. Home depot or Lowes sell furniture sliders. They are flat feet type things you can place under heavy furniture that make moving it easier. It might work in the canal to get them under her and tow her out. Or, ypu can take a thick tarp, doubled, slide it under her (maybe grease it. And then hook it to tow straps and pull her out. Also, a large animal vet or local wildlife organization may be able to help.
The furniture glides are for flat surfaces,carpet or floors. I use them and they don't work that great on wood floors. Anything ruff they wouldn't work on.
Good thought though if they did work that way.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is very sad and I am sorry. Please keep us updated.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
So sorry for you, maybe call a tow company. They could tell you up front if they would or wouldn't do it. Since they are usually pretty good at getting heavy things out of odd places.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well no word from "sthoh879" that is not a good sign. would have helped if we knew more about the environment, dirt lined, concrete lined. By now poor Lily's body will be in tough shape, especially soaked in canal water. Unfortunately sthoh879 location is ONLY "Ca" . . . Ca. is a big state. If it was in the SF bay area, I may have been able to help, had I seen this post earlier...