Need info on a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

evildeadguy81

5 Year Member
Hi i was coming home and seen this tortoise crossing the road so i stop and got it befor it got hit can someone please tell me what kinda it isIMG00006-20110804-2128.jpg IMG00007-20110804-2128.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Evildeadguy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

The picture is a little blurry, but I THINK its a desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii)

evildeadguy81

5 Year Member
Hi thanks for the welcome i live in florida name is james sorry took photos with phone cam not the best

evildeadguy81

5 Year Member
i was thinking it mite be a Gopher Tortoise cause they kinda look like that as a baby but not sure

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In that case (because you live in Florida), I'll amend my guess to gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus).

nicolek

5 Year Member
Portland
Nice name! I named my tortoise Bruce Campbell. He wont inherit the Bruce until I know if it is a he or she. Welcome

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ideally.... you should take it back where it was found... off the raodway.. and let it go.. and keep fingers crossed it survives..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto with Yvonne....that was kinda why I asked where you lived :p

It is a hard choice to make wether to keep it/take it back and release it????? It will entirely be up to you :p , if you keep it then the little one will likely do best housed outside as much as possible. If you opt to release it back to its wild area (only if you have not exposed him in ANY WAY to any other tortoise), maybe you can take a little walk about in the area that you picked it up from, kinda get a feel for the area? Like walk slowly towards the direction the little thing was going and really observe where he may have been headed or walk in the direction he was coming from to see if you can see any signs that you may have picked him up from a general pathway for his daily life? Also, you may be able to contact Florida Fish and Game and ask them what should someone do if they find one...do they do a relocate back into a safe/wild area or do they simply hand him off to a rescue? If they can relocate him back into the wild great, if they are going to turn over to a rescue...then why not be the rescue crew for him ?

I always believe that wild is the "ideal" choice and should always be the first option taken...HOWEVER, if you can not find signs that he has been there before (or she?) then it will be your judgement call :p

Whichever you decide, he sure is a cutie :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, if a gopher, he needs to be released. Misdemeanor!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
ALDABRAMAN said:
Welcome, if a gopher, he needs to be released. Misdemeanor!

I agree. I don't remember there being any provisions in FL law that allow residents to keep gophers in captivity in the same way that desert torts can be kept in CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.