At what height do tortoises no longer "jump"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Maybe they don't grow out of it, some might just be daredevils while others are more commonsense. For instance, take a turtle put it on a table and every time they will plop off of the edge. Some people used to try and say that proved that turtles were dumb, because they will fall off of the side every time. Until people realize hat turtles do that to escape into the water, so will they ever stop. probably not, if yours like to live on the dangerous side, it is probably a daredevil for life.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Fernando said:
ahhh your going to make me go home and measure her now!!! lol

Now I'm curious....about a month ago I believe she was 280 grams...I haven't measured her lately but last I remember (maybe 2 months ago) she was almost 4 inches.

Isn't that amazing? It takes a sully 8 months to get to the same size that it took a Russian 8 years to get to.

dmmj said:
Maybe they don't grow out of it, some might just be daredevils while others are more commonsense. For instance, take a turtle put it on a table and every time they will plop off of the edge. Some people used to try and say that proved that turtles were dumb, because they will fall off of the side every time. Until people realize hat turtles do that to escape into the water, so will they ever stop. probably not, if yours like to live on the dangerous side, it is probably a daredevil for life.

He is a daredevil. That's the same tortoise who was climbing up my fence a few weeks ago. The guy is fearless!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I used to have a pond with a waterfall in my old box turtle garden, and my adult male would sit in the top of the waterfall where there was a smaller pond. After a while, when the sun moved away, he would litterally throw himself into the pond through the water fall and swim to the other end to get out, even though he had a side where he could just walk down without going in the pond. I have a much more shallow pond now, but a little juvie I have would climb to the top of a small wood cave and then walk off. She did this many times and I used to find her on her back, so I got rid of it.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
terryo said:
I used to have a pond with a waterfall in my old box turtle garden, and my adult male would sit in the top of the waterfall where there was a smaller pond. After a while, when the sun moved away, he would litterally throw himself into the pond through the water fall and swim to the other end to get out, even though he had a side where he could just walk down without going in the pond. I have a much more shallow pond now, but a little juvie I have would climb to the top of a small wood cave and then walk off. She did this many times and I used to find her on her back, so I got rid of it.

hahah that is neat! I would have loved to see that!

Status
Not open for further replies.