Ate grass for the first time!!

Shutterbug

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
My 4 month old Sulcata ate grass all on her own!
I picked up some of the cat grass (oat grass) to go and mixed in a couple of other seeds including millet, and barley.

It has now grown tall enough I have been able to start snipping it (roughly 3 inches long) and putting it in a pile just outside of her hide.

It was mainly all gone by noon so I figured I would I would put down a 2nd and larger handful...again this afternoon is was all gone ❤.

I know this doesnt seem big, but I am so happy she is eating it on her own! She doesnt seem to want to graze it yet, but is eating it, so we are over the first step!

That said, does this mean I should start offering her days of just the cut grass, and other days she gets her leafy greens/veg, or should I keep offering those daily just in smaller amounts?
Should I keep sprinkling ground hay onto her leafy greens?
Is fresh grass like that enough fiber?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would cut up some of the fresh grass and sprinkle it on the food daily. 3" long pieces are going to have a tough time getting out on the other end. You'll see. I use 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces for little tortoises.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
I can do that. I have yet to see her actually eat the grass. I just check on her and the pile is gone.

Do I have to be concerned about her ability to pass the blades if she didnt clip them shorter while eating?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can do that. I have yet to see her actually eat the grass. I just check on her and the pile is gone.

Do I have to be concerned about her ability to pass the blades if she didnt clip them shorter while eating?
You'll probably see it protruding out during soaks for the next couple of weeks. Should pass without a problem. I usually give it a gentle pull to help it along toward the end of a soak, but don't pull too hard.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
Gottcha!

So much to learn, this forum has definitely become the main place for my research. I posted my little one in a facebook group and differences in advice was insane.

I am so thankful for this resource....even for the silliest questions! Haha

Reactions: Tom