Attempting hibernation, or sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
One of my 1 yr old CDTs has been acting a little odd lately. He/she has not eaten for about a week and while he will wake up when I touch him, he will move around a little then goes back to sleep.

I have been making sure he is getting soaked more often (in their outdoor enclosure they have a little "pond"). He is also sleeping on the cooler side of his indoor enclosure in a hide.

Does this sound like he is sick, or is he attempting to hibernate (which I do not want him to do)? His brother/sister is acting normal, eating, sleeping on the warmer side of the enclosure, etc.

I am buying a warmer light this afternoon to see if that helps, but does anybody have any suggestions?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It could be an aggression issue as opposed to hibernation. Try setting this one up on his/her own and see if that helps.

Danny

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
egyptiandan said:
It could be an aggression issue as opposed to hibernation. Try setting this one up on his/her own and see if that helps.

Danny

Okay, thanks.
Once he is separated, will he be okay going back with the others?

(Even when I am soaking him he wakes up for a little bit, then goes back to sleep.)

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Probably wanting to hibernate. You may have to increase the temps a little bit, and don't let them cool down as much in the evening.

Yes, keep soaking them. Use warm water, not hot, not cool. I would also spray them while they are in the water, it seems to trigger a drinking response.

I had two do this (indoors), one didn't really eat much through the whole Winter and the other ate everyday.

They are both bigger now and outdoors.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I also forgot to mention about his weight. I am not good at keeping record of it all the time but, here are the weight comparisons....

8/5/10:
Sleepy tort- 119g
Normal tort- 118g

9/13/10:
Sleepy tort- 152g
Normal tort- 138g

A date I was stupid enough not to write down:
Sleepy tort: 154g
Normal tort: 181g

11/14/10:
Sleepy tort: 159g

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
also be sure to provide at leats 12 hours of day light if you dont want to hibernating.. but must be warm to keep eating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A tortoise's hibernation isn't a true hibernation. They have awake periods and sleeping periods, its just that they can't move because they're cold. In my opinion, if the tortoise is sleeping a lot, its not a hibernation issue.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would set him up inside and keep him really warm...100 degrees on the hot side and not below 80 on the cool side. I'd keep the lights on for 13 hours a day and tube feed him Critical Care because you said he hasn't eaten in a week. I had one that had to be tube fed Critical Care for 3 months before he went back to eating. Soak your guy in warm water daily and keep us posted...[/i]

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I just moved him to his own indoor enclosure and got a new bulb, so raised the temperatures.

After a soak I put him in it and he walked around a little, then went back to sleep. Right now he is asleep right on the warmest part of the enclosure.

Maggie, was is Critical Care and were would I purchase it if I need it?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
He ended up going into his hide. Here are some pictures from this evening. Please note, there is very moist Eco-Earth under the grass hay. I added a thin layer of hay to it as there were areas where the heat lamp did not hit the substrate and it was still cold, and I wanted it warm all around. This is working nicely. I also pulled the pan back a little further too.

His new little enclosure:

SickTortoise003.jpg

SickTortoise007.jpg

New pictures of him:

SickTortoise006.jpg

SickTortoise008.jpg

SickTortoise009.jpg

SickTortoise011.jpg

SickTortoise012.jpg

SickTortoise013.jpg

SickTortoise015.jpg

SickTortoise014.jpg

SickTortoise016.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
are these new pics of him? because he does not really look sick to me. The one thing I am concerned about is the not eating.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
dmmj said:
are these new pics of him? because he does not really look sick to me. The one thing I am concerned about is the not eating.

Yes, those are new pictures... just taken a few hours ago.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Do you have an accurate thermometer like a temp gun to give us updated photos? Do you place the tort in front of the food 1-2 times a day? Ensure temps are 80-100 and place the tort in a hide near the warmth (I have one in the upper 80s), and then in front of the food. Feed some enticing foods like radicchio, pumpkin, frisee, etc. Hopefully now that hes set up by himself (you need a larger enclosure, although from what you said it sounded like you will change this soon) and you check the temps and place him in front of food, he will want to eat. I would not just let a tort sit in the cold side for a week. In my house, after 1 day of my tort not moving around, he gets placed in his warm hide for a bit (many times he'll go bask), and then in front of food if he doesn't go there himself. If you have your tort sitting in the cold area in the 70s and then just try placing him in front of food, he isn't warm enough to want to eat. Critical Care would be a good Plan B to this, but you likely need some hands on instruction with it. He looks active and alert, a good sign. Is he moving around now in the new enclosure? What kind of bulb? UVB? What are the night temps? Good luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

APBT_Fanatic said:
I just moved him to his own indoor enclosure and got a new bulb, so raised the temperatures.

After a soak I put him in it and he walked around a little, then went back to sleep. Right now he is asleep right on the warmest part of the enclosure.

Maggie, was is Critical Care and were would I purchase it if I need it?

Critical Care is a recovery food that is given to tortoises who are unwilling to eat it's full of nutrition and you have to get it from your vet. Then you would feed it to him until he eats on his own...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
Do you have an accurate thermometer like a temp gun to give us updated photos? Do you place the tort in front of the food 1-2 times a day? Ensure temps are 80-100 and place the tort in a hide near the warmth (I have one in the upper 80s), and then in front of the food. Feed some enticing foods like radicchio, pumpkin, frisee, etc. Hopefully now that hes set up by himself (you need a larger enclosure, although from what you said it sounded like you will change this soon) and you check the temps and place him in front of food, he will want to eat. I would not just let a tort sit in the cold side for a week. In my house, after 1 day of my tort not moving around, he gets placed in his warm hide for a bit (many times he'll go bask), and then in front of food if he doesn't go there himself. If you have your tort sitting in the cold area in the 70s and then just try placing him in front of food, he isn't warm enough to want to eat. Critical Care would be a good Plan B to this, but you likely need some hands on instruction with it. He looks active and alert, a good sign. Is he moving around now in the new enclosure? What kind of bulb? UVB? What are the night temps? Good luck!

I did not let him "sit in the cold side for a week". Earlier in the week he had been getting out into his outdoor enclosure for natural sunlight, etc., but the temps outside are cooling down now so he has only been indoors for the past couple of days.

Also, no he is not moving around in the new enclosure and it is not a long-term enclosure. It is small to help keep the heat in. I will be home all day tomorrow and will be able to work with him more.

WOOOOOTTTTT!!!!! :D

He drank during his soak this evening, ate about 2 pieces of Mazuri, and is now eating some lettuce! He also has cactus in there too that hopefully he will eat. :D

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Just wanted to give a quick update and let everybody know this little guy has been doing well for awhile now! Eating, drinking, active.... and ready to go back with my other CDT, once I buy another indoor container for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.