babies first dandelions

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Some of you know that when I lived in Calif I used to head-start hatchling desert tortoises and get them growing and eating well so they could be adopted out and actually live. We all notice how many Sulcata hatchlings die here on the forum so back then that's why we did that. So they would live and be healthy, the desert torts (Gopherus agassizii) not Sulcata. So anyway yesterday I was looking for a certain picture and came across these. The first time these babies got to eat dandelion flowers. I thought you all might like to see them.

1zoylww.jpg

1txahu.jpg

1zl65cp.jpg

umxyd.jpg

1zzmhs6.jpg

2vn2khj.jpg

2yual9f.jpg

21mgpwp.jpg

They were no big deal, just something that I used to do and enjoyed so much. I love having babies in the house and teaching them how to eat different stuff and watching them discover rocks and stuff to climb on and watching them basking in the sun like a big tortoise...
anyway, so I came across these pictures and thought I would like to share them so you can see what I used to do...

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Thanks for sharing. Looks like me when I eat chocolate,YUM. LOL :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Those were great pictures Maggie. I love looking at babies just starting out. I used to do the same thing with water turtles, mostly Eastern Painted's. I was so fussy and always wanted people to have a pond or no turtle.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
The flowers are almost as big as the babies!

Do you remember how many of these you fostered over the years?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
awww that is cute/ How long ago were these pictures taken? They look like really good quality.

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
awww that is cute/ How long ago were these pictures taken? They look like really good quality.

I have never changed the date in my camera and never saved the pictures in any sort of order. So they could be 9 years old 10 years or 5 years, there's no way for me to tell. All the babies look the same to me now. He has a dot on his back that would tell me who he was in his clutch, but now I don't have a clue. It looks like all the pictures are of the same hatchling tho...that's about all I can tell anymore...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a CUTIE!! Great pics, thanks for sharing!

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
I think the quality is great for what cameras there were 5-10 years ago! Very cute.

The pictures were downloaded from my camera into my computer. So it's not like they were actual photographs that could fade or get scratched. I believe the camera that I am using now is a cheap 2 megapixel camera that is about 4 years old now. I think it takes great pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.