Babies with extra scutes.

gustaf

5 Year Member
I guess often times there are bullying issues when torts are kept in pairs. The sulcata is definately one of the species known for this. Sometimes you can get away with it. Sometimes you cant. A few years back i had 2 males about 10 to 12 inches in length. They seemd to get along just fine. I witnessed no dominancy issues. They did not fight or ram each other. They both ate well. The thing with these guys is that they had been kept together since they were hatchlings. I bet if they were seperated for a while and got used to being alone they would most likely not be too happy to have to share their space again. Many people are adamantly against keeping torts together in pairs. They usually do better by themselves or in larger groups (preferably with only one male and 2 or more females.) There are exceptions. If you try it I recommend that you watch their behavior closely and have a backup plan to seperate them if need be.

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
gustaf said:
I guess often times there are bullying issues when torts are kept in pairs. The sulcata is definately one of the species known for this. Sometimes you can get away with it. Sometimes you cant. A few years back i had 2 males about 10 to 12 inches in length. They seemd to get along just fine. I witnessed no dominancy issues. They did not fight or ram each other. They both ate well. The thing with these guys is that they had been kept together since they were hatchlings. I bet if they were seperated for a while and got used to being alone they would most likely not be too happy to have to share their space again. Many people are adamantly against keeping torts together in pairs. They usually do better by themselves or in larger groups (preferably with only one male and 2 or more females.) There are exceptions. If you try it I recommend that you watch their behavior closely and have a backup plan to seperate them if need be.

I will for sure! My sulcata refuses to eat unless she is with her redfoot friend rupert. But rupert likes to be with both her and Roxx-I. But Roxxi wants to be alone. Lol. It's like a soap opera.

gustaf

5 Year Member
Lol. Thats really neat how they have their own personality quirks. And likes and dislikes.

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
gustaf said:
Lol. Thats really neat how they have their own personality quirks. And likes and dislikes.

When she got a runny nose I had to separate them just in case and rupert would sleep in the water bowl because he could see her and she would sleep on the ledge of her cage so she could see him. I feel so mean for having to separate them. ImageUploadedByTortForum1390933960.019909.jpg

She will go to his cage through the balcony. Roxxi is the shady one in the corner lol. Rupert on the ramp and oogy on the top.

Last edited by a moderator: