Baby Box Turtle Diet

Shrimptheturtle

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hi! I’m Rowen and I’m new to the forum. I currently own two Eastern box turtles, one is around 6 years old and the other is about two months. I’m looking for advice about my baby’s diet. Right now he gets mealworms and some lettuce but I know he needs more variety than that, Any recommendations for what vegetables/fruits to try with him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mealworms' exoskeleton (sp?) is undigestible. Better to use black soldier fly larvae or even the occasional butterworm , chopped up night crawlers or garden worms. You can buy BSFL and butter worms online. Once or twice a week a little dollup of canned cat or dog food.

Fruit is welcomed - bananas, canteloup, strawberries, etc. I feed my baby box turtles the same chopped up leafy greens that I feed my baby tortoises, but I add fruit and BSFL to it.

adc

ELIZABETHTOWN
Hi! I’m Rowen and I’m new to the forum. I currently own two Eastern box turtles, one is around 6 years old and the other is about two months. I’m looking for advice about my baby’s diet. Right now he gets mealworms and some lettuce but I know he needs more variety than that, Any recommendations for what vegetables/fruits to try with him?
They eat anything. When they are introduced to a new environment they don't always eat right away. I used to give mine raw hamburger with some cod liver oil on it. Also liquid calcium on it.