Baby hermanns tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfet505

5 Year Member
We recently purchased a two week old baby tort and it is continuously just burying itself in the coconut shell substrate. We have only had it a day. It walked around a little bit then when we came home we saw it had buried itself. We take it out and bathed it but after drinking it goes right back into the substrate. It has not eaten for over 24 hrs but it is drinking. The substrate is a little damp. Is that bad for it? Is it normal for it to remain buried? Or is there something wrong?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Perfectly normal! I personally leave them alone and let them come out when they want to. I've found that most will begin to come out more on their own that way. I also spray the substrate twice daily to ensure that it stays moist (not wet). Hermann's as well as most other species naturally bury themselves in order to remain safe and probably in some situations to keep from dehydrating.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
If you've only had it for a day, it is likely still acclimating to its new environment. It probably feels safest buried under the substrate. Let the little guy relax a bit by not disturbing him and he'll be out soon enough for food. It can take a few days for a new tort to settle down in a new home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi smurfet505:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

May we know appx. where you are?

smurfet505

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! Makes me feel better knowing he is ok. He already seems more adventurous at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.