baby indian star

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberjane1006

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
south wales
hey there i got a 3 month old baby Indian star tortoise for xmas and was just wondering if it was normal that she makes this clicking noise sometimes, she is very active when i wake her up but she does seem to sleep most of the day unless i wake her up for food or for a bath. me my sister and mother in law all had one for xmas and they are from marcus langford so i know they are poperly breed and well looked after. just wondering if anyone can just relax my mind as this is the first tortoise i have ever owned my mother in law already has a 4 year old male indian star and he is triving.

many thanks
amber

ps. her enclosure is always around 90f in the warm end and 83f under her hide in the night the warm end drops to 86f ish and the hide is about 79f.
is this ok:tort:

Attachments

• phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 86

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Clicking is normal.

Your tortoise looks great. If you don't mind, I'll link my care sheet here for you to look at: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-31227.html

It was written for leopards, but I keep my Indian stars in the exact same set ups.

Just a small suggestion: your temperatures are pretty good, but I would recommend bumping up the high just a little bit more to about 95 - 100 range.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I see Neal has answered. Just wanted to welcome you. What a great gift to be given. So you all three got stars for Christmas? Clutchmates?

amberjane1006

5 Year Member
south wales
hey
thank you for you quick replies.
neal : her tank is 15inchs by 2foot and 16 inches high i no its small but its just for the time being when she gets bigger we will get a bigger one, i find that if i bump the hot end up her hide goes higher aswell.
jacqui: it was a lovely gift two of the tortoises have the same mother and the other one has a different mother but all the same father. they where hatched august,septemeber and october i think mine was the september one.

also just one other question i don't have water in the enclosure because we where told it would cause breathing problems, my mother in laws older tortoise never has water in his cage and is fine, i do give her a soak every day for about 10-20 mins and i do see her dunk her head down i assumes she is drinking either that or she is suicidal lol

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Recent education shows that if the temperatures are good, humidity can be beneficial for a tortoise in helping to prevent pyramiding. Having a water dish in the enclosure will ensure that the tortoise can drink whenever it wants to.

I think your tortoise would benefit from a bump of the temperatures in the hide too. If I were you, I would give it a shot and see if that helps him become more active.

tickle

5 Year Member
I keep no ware bowl in my hatchlings enclosure if you soak him there is no need for water.my hatchling gets a funny nisei everytime I put sphagnum moss or Timothy gay over the substrate in my tank but as soon as I remove it it goes away.eather it bothers his nasal cavity or keeps two much moisture trapped underneath in my substrate.so I still keep my humidity in the 30% to 40% range and never have a runny nose but as soon as I. Add that moss or grass ut runs so becarefull and use sand and soil.I read that if leopard tort do the same ifp they have no access to dry sand.love you're star gl more pics please

dhru1999

5 Year Member
England
The clicking noises are just her breathing, I got my star from Marcus too! What are her parents names?

tickle

5 Year Member
I think I saw this guys site online .he is in England and seems to take his breedind a rearing very seriesly.I marveled at his settups and how he sold and took care of them allot of breeders in the us canlearn allot from him.if he told u how to raise you're star don't second guess it .it is the best way in you're climate you have him to fall back on you're stars will thrive and I no he stands by them and there health

Status
Not open for further replies.