"High Yellow" Indian Star??

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldcook

5 Year Member
Hello all,

this is the first time i'm posting in this forum. I often read the "high yellow" phrase for Indian Star tortoise. may any one in here enlighten me the meaning of "high yellow". is it a form of indian star, or something? and how can we tell an indian star is a "high yellow" one or just the good normal one.

thank you vm

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
High yellow basically just means it has more yellow than an average star has. That means thicker yellow markings, and an overall higher percentage of the carapace is yellow.

It is not a scientific measure though, so there is no actual standard to determine if an individual is "high yellow". People will often label an animal this way that is only slightly more yellow, or in some cases, not any more yellow than typical just to make the animal sound more appealing. Just another case of false advertising.

goldcook

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Don't know......but welcome to the forum....We LOVE PICS...may we see your little one?
actually I am really new in Tortoise world, havent got any. my main focus was on freshwater fishes. but to be honest this torto world really attracts me with a very strong gravity power :D:D

JeffG said:
High yellow basically just means it has more yellow than an average star has. That means thicker yellow markings, and an overall higher percentage of the carapace is yellow.

It is not a scientific measure though, so there is no actual standard to determine if an individual is "high yellow". People will often label an animal this way that is only slightly more yellow, or in some cases, not any more yellow than typical just to make the animal sound more appealing. Just another case of false advertising.

many thanks for your explanation pal. so in essence can be said that there is no a scientific standard to determine whether an individual is a "high yellow" or not. its very subjective judgment cmiiw..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi goldcook:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

goldcook

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi goldcook:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

ALDABRAMAN said:
Wwelcome.

Sorry have been rude by not introducing my self 1st :p my name is nyos, from Indonesia, south east asia. and thank you for welcoming me in here, hope I can learn a lot about tortoise :tort::tort: :D

goldcook

5 Year Member
ok i have pics of indian stars, owned by my friend:
can you guess which one is the high yellow
122.jpg

112.jpg

*no prize for the right answer :p

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Some nice unusual Indian stars compared to US stock.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
But if you keep breeding stars that are considered high yellow eventually you will have stars that are jus higher yellow than normal stars,this is jus my assumtion-selective breeding rite.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yup, but you never know untill the eggs hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.