Baby, juvenile or adult Hermann's tortoise and general tort care

Amanda M

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hi everyone! I'm new to tortoise forums. I joined because I am considering getting a Hermann's tortoise after Christmas, and I'm wondering a few things.
First of all, what is the difference between purchasing a baby, juvenile or adult tortoise? What is the difference in care? I'm leaning towards getting a baby because they're easier to find captive bred, but I'm also trying to keep my options open as this would be my first tort.
Second, I'm planning on getting a christmas tree box as the setup (just until I find someone to help build a real one, plus price is something I have to keep in mind), would this be too big for a baby? Does anyone have suggestions on a different low cost setup?
Third, what kind of substrate do you all recommend? I've seen a lot of different options but am nervous because I don't want to get the wrong thing, so if you could give some options and maybe attach a link that would be awesome!
Last, I live in PA, would tortoise breeders ship here even though it is winter? (This winter seems warmer than the past however) What weather would they refuse to ship in?
Thanks everyone!!

von345

I use Cypress mulch and mist it a little everyday. Has worked really well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Amanda hasn't been back since December. I hope we didn't discourage her with our lack of responses to her question.