Hermann's Tortoise Care

AnimalLover14

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hi! I'm new to this forum and reptiles. I plan on getting a Hermann's tortoise for my 14th birthday and would like to know basic care information. I do plan on doing some more research, but also would like to know from experienced tortoise owners. :D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425699018.671496.jpg. There is a mommy and her teens . What would you like to know that's not in the care sheets ? Other then you can see the mother is large .

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi if you go to hermannihaven they have great care sheets and talk about the different ones .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum.

AnimalLover14

Kansas
welcome to the forum! most info on other sites have outdated info, this is the best place to get tortoise info. are you getting a hatchling or an adult?
welcome to the forum! most info on other sites have outdated info, this is the best place to get tortoise info. are you getting a hatchling or an adult?
I plan on getting a hatchling from Underground Reptiles. I would like to know what do I do when I receive my tortoise. Do I soak him? Do I put him in his enclosure? How long should I let him be in his enclosure before I handle him?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hello, and Welcome to TFO.
Giving your new arrival a warm soak is a good idea. Followed by some quite time in the new enclosure. Perhaps you should ask them how they start their hatchlings out. Talk to whoever you get your little one from, Don't be afraid to ask questions even if they sound silly lol. Have you considered a private breeder there's a couple Great ones on this forum. With a private breeder your able to get more information about your tortoise such as hatch date, most pet stores/reptile shops don't have any background info for the torts they sell. I like to know as much info as possible on any tort coming my way. ☺ Good Luck to you and yours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! (...and happy birthday!!)

We have a good care sheet, written by one of our members, shown at the top of our Hermann's section, here on the Forum.