Hermann's Tortoise Habitat and Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
NOTE: This is my first post so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I'm planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise in few weeks, and I've been doing a little research. Much of what I have been reading contradicts everything else I've read, but my questions basically sum down to this:

1. Do Hermann's tortoises need to go outside? If so, is that starting at a certain age and for how long a year? I live in New York, and it will soon be cold, so my tortoise won't be outside for at least 7-8 months.
2. I've been planning on using play sand as my substrate. Is this suitable or should I use something else?
3. Is a 2 1/2' by 4' enclosure large enough?
4. Finally, is it ok to feed a Hermann's tortoise produce such as lettuce and celery from the grocery store, and how much/how often should tortoises be fed.

If there's anything else I missed please add that also.

Thanks!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi and welcome! You've posted in the right place. I'm new to torts, so I get how confusing contradictory info can be. The experts will be along shortly, so hang in there and take notes. ;)

In the meantime, try checking out the enclosure threads. I found them super helpful. Good luck!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look up tortoise table/UK there is a endless amount of edible plants. Bigger enclosures are always better . If you have the space outside then yes build him an outdoor enclosure.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I use Coconut Soil that you can get at PetCo OR PetSmart.
So you could use that.
I feed my tortoises in the morning time and leave a good amount of different foods they like. So then during the day they can go and eat if they would like. They like Spring Mixed Greens, Strawberries, ECT. I wouldn't give them the IceBurg, Spinach, Broccoli, and a few other things you can look this up. In the Sring Mix I pick out the Spinach because I can not find a spring mix with no spinach. If the food looks like it is dried out I will change it with some fresh stuff. I don't give them to much at one time because I have noticed that they will eat a lot but not that much. You will see how this is when you get your tortoise. You will also need the Rep-Cal I believe it is called it has a pink label it is Calcium W/Vitamin D then there is a blue label that is a Multi-Vitamin. I sprinkle this on there food every other day.
I live in Mass so I have my tortoises inside but I do bring them outside a few times a week. Depending on how you want to do it. It is YOUR tortoise. So if you want to make an enclosure for him/her for the summer time then bring him/her in the winter you can do that too. :) My Cherry Head Tortoises are about 3 months old so I don't know if it matters how old they are when they start going outside. I'm not a pro of tortoises just yet BUT I know what I'm doing somewhat but I'm still learning :)
I hope I can be of some help :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Neb said:
NOTE: This is my first post so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I'm planning on getting a Hermann's tortoise in few weeks, and I've been doing a little research. Much of what I have been reading contradicts everything else I've read, but my questions basically sum down to this:

1. Do Hermann's tortoises need to go outside?

As often as possible.

If so, is that starting at a certain age and for how long a year?

Really from the hatching...they need vitamin D from sunlight to build strong bones, including the shell. During the winter, you'll need an appropriate reptile UV light.

I live in New York, and it will soon be cold, so my tortoise won't be outside for at least 7-8 months.

See above.

2. I've been planning on using play sand as my substrate. Is this suitable or should I use something else?

Impaction danger...try cypress mulch, instead.

3. Is a 2 1/2' by 4' enclosure large enough?

No, not really. It'd be OK, for a hatchling, for maybe a year, but you really need a minimum of 3' X 6' as it grows, and 4' X 8' is better. Outside, give it all the room possible, but 8' X 8' is a good size.

4. Finally, is it ok to feed a Hermann's tortoise produce such as lettuce and celery from the grocery store, and how much/how often should tortoises be fed.

Iceberg lettuce and celery have almost no food value...instead, feed collard, turnip, and mustard greens, swiss chard, kale, chopped cactus, Romaine lettuce, spring mix (a mixed variety of lettuces), carrot slivers, and dark green weeds. Also, mine eat Marion Red Tortoise Sticks kibble (soaked until soft, then mixed with chopped veggies) a couple times a week during the winter. This time of year, I harvest edible weeds to dry, then blend with the aforementioned kibble and well-chopped cactus for winter feeding.

And lightly sprinkle everything with calcium powder.

If there's anything else I missed please add that also.

Read up on diet, housing and temperatures and, most importantly remember this: the only stupid question is the unasked one!

Welcome to out little slice of chelonean heaven!

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO . I have herrman torts and sense I live in AZ mine are outside year around . But when i have baby's the first year I keep them in side . And please a lot of people on the TFO keep their torts inside and do very well . And when I give my torts strawberry s I only give them the tops that still have red on them that way they get treats but not much fruit. And mine don't get head lettuce or celery at all . But this is my way . ( not nessaryaly the right way) and my out door pen is 6x8 in size. But good luck and have fun with your torts

Status
Not open for further replies.