Hermann's enclosure size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
OK. I'm getting ready to make my indoor/winter enclosure for my not-yet-purchased Hermann's. I found a tortoise table plan I really like on Tortoise Yard, by Vicki Hale. The dimensions of the tort's living space will be 3 feet by 8 feet. This will be my first tort, so I plan to start with just one: either a hatchling or yearling or some age in between. I was thinking of going ahead with this table, figuring the little guy will grow into it. Can you have a table that's too big?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thats a little too big in my opinion. Baby-yearling hermanns sure are tiny and itd be extremely hard to find him/her because they really like to burrow. You can build something that is 2'X4' and that will be more than enough space for the next year or so and it will be MUCH easier to find him/her.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
You could build the 3 x 8 table and simple wall off part of it (if you have the room in your house). Then, your tort can easily grow into the enclosure and you only have to build it once. 3x8 will be a good size once he is bigger.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree that something as large as a 3' x 8' is too large. I would even suggest smaller than a 2' x 4' enclosure for hatchling size up to about 2 1/4". Rubbermaid style sweater boxes work very well. The average size (depending upon brand) is about 16" x 26" x 6". This size will house up to three tortoises. With an enclosure this size the tortoise is easy to keep track of as well as the enclosure being easy to correctly heat, light and keep at a suitable moisture/humidity level. You can go bigger as needed fairly cheaply with the plastic storage containers up to the point where you'd need a larger, more permanent enclosure. A 2' x 4' is fine for up to a 5-5.5" Hermann's. A larger animal will need something bigger, especially a male.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozilion said:
OK. I'm getting ready to make my indoor/winter enclosure for my not-yet-purchased Hermann's. I found a tortoise table plan I really like on Tortoise Yard, by Vicki Hale. The dimensions of the tort's living space will be 3 feet by 8 feet. This will be my first tort, so I plan to start with just one: either a hatchling or yearling or some age in between. I was thinking of going ahead with this table, figuring the little guy will grow into it. Can you have a table that's too big?

No, because 3' X 8' really isn't all that large to a tortoise...in the wild, a tortoise covers a lot of ground in his/her daily travels.

But, at the same time, 3' X 8''s not so small as to be unhealthy for even a single adult (or pair of females), which your tortlet will be before ya know it!.

The main thing is to make it warm enough, 95F at the "hot spot" (basking area) and around 75F on the cool end, thus giving your tortoise-to-be plenty of choices as to where he/she will be most comfortable. And after a short while he/she'll figure out where to be at different times of the day, so finding him/her won't be all that big an issue, even when small.

OTOH, if you find it difficult to keep it warm enough, a smaller enclosure, like GB mentioned, will be OK for a while, but go ahead and get the larger enclosure together as soon as you can.

Outside enclosure, make it as roomy as you can. My 4 are getting a 16' X 8' enclosure built, as I have time (hope to finish it by spring), but right now they share a 5' X (almost) 8' outdoor enclosure and a somewhat smaller indoor one (which I'll be upsizing to 5' X 12' eventually).

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hmmmm...looks like if you get 3 chelonaphiles in one room you end up with 4 different opinions! :D This is all great stuff!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plywood comes in 4x8' sheets. Why cut a foot off? I'd just go a full 4x8' and section off 2x4' for your baby. When he gets a little bigger you can just remove the divider.

I know it's not the same thing, but I've been starting my 2", 35-40 gram sulcata hatchlings in a 4x4' enclosure all year this year. They have no problem finding the water bowl, the food stations, the hide boxes and the basking spots. They navigate it all really well. I realize a hatchling hermanni is much smaller than that, but it seems to me like they'd be able to get around just fine.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Plywood comes in 4x8' sheets. Why cut a foot off? I'd just go a full 4x8' and section off 2x4' for your baby. When he gets a little bigger you can just remove the divider.

I know it's not the same thing, but I've been starting my 2", 35-40 gram sulcata hatchlings in a 4x4' enclosure all year this year. They have no problem finding the water bowl, the food stations, the hide boxes and the basking spots. They navigate it all really well. I realize a hatchling hermanni is much smaller than that, but it seems to me like they'd be able to get around just fine.

A valid point, if Moozillion has the room in her home. :cool:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've already given my hubby plans for a "tortoise wing" to be added to the house!!! (I wish! Ha!) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.