baby leopard tortoise wont open eye

Rexx Doopson

Recently, my baby leopard tortoise hasn't been able to open his eye. Usually it's just his one eye, but sometimes both, and won't open unless he/she vigorously rubs it, or I soak him. I've also noticed that his head/face is white, like there is some kind of white powder on it. I've washed many times, but it doesn't go away. He is eating regularly, and is very active, acting like any baby tortoise should, but I'm worried about these things.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forums! we need more information. are you using a coil bulb? whats the cage humidity? what substate are you using? what are the cage temps? how often do you soak him? posting pics of the tort, the lights, and the enclosure will be very helpful.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What is the humidity in your enclosure, and what type of bulb? It's hard to tell without a picture, but often tortoises eyes don't open because 1. the humidity is too low, or 2. the bulb you are using is damaging their eyes

Rexx Doopson

I'm using a zoomed basking lamp and an exo terra uvb coil lamp. I'm not sure about the humidity but I switch from moist paper towels in the corner of the enclosure to moss from time to time. basking temps around high 80's. Please help. He is my first hatchling (i have a russian) and I love him dearly.

Rexx Doopson

I soak him around 3 times a week, and keep a little dish in the enclosure (in which i've seen him soak by himself). The substrate i used before was eco earth, but that seem to irritate him (could this be the start of the eye problem?). He is temporarily with paper towels, but will transition to bark soon.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Humidity is very important for all tortoise babies, you need to get something to monitor the humidity. Sounds like it's pretty low. Do not use paper towels, please buy a proper substrate like coco coir or orchid bark.

The coil lamp could be the culprit, they're known to cause eye issues.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I'm using a zoomed basking lamp and an exo terra uvb coil lamp. I'm not sure about the humidity but I switch from moist paper towels in the corner of the enclosure to moss from time to time. basking temps around high 80's. Please help. He is my first hatchling (i have a russian) and I love him dearly.
coil bulbs make baby tortoises blind turn it off immediately. humidity is a must for baby tortoises soak everyday for 20 minutes and the cage humidity has to be at 80%+.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I soak him around 3 times a week, and keep a little dish in the enclosure (in which i've seen him soak by himself). The substrate i used before was eco earth, but that seem to irritate him (could this be the start of the eye problem?). He is temporarily with paper towels, but will transition to bark soon.
coco coir, cypress mulch and orchard bark work very well when moist.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Do you have anything for night heat?

I would suggest buying a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) as they emit both uvb and can be used as a basking lamp as well. For night heat I would recommend a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) as it emits no light and only heat.

Rexx Doopson

Thank you so much. I'm a newbie at hatchlings, but prepared earlier, only to be met up with this. what are your thoughts about his face tho?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I just can't beat him!! Sometimes it can cause long term effects like blindness, but sounds like he should recover if you haven't used it long...and he's not walking into things/stopped eating.