Baby or not baby

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi everyone,
This is going to sound like a really stupid question and obviously the answer would be when they are adults, but when can you stop calling your Tortoise a baby and treating like a baby? For example my Russian is 3 years old, So would he still be classed as a baby or a juvenile? When I got him as a baby I would bath every day because he was a baby. At the age of 3 does he still require a bath everyday? You research how to care for a baby tortoise, but when does that change. I'm just curious. I'd like to fees him some cactus, but it states dont feed a baby tortoise cactus. It's confusing for when things change

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure where it says not to feed a baby cactus. Babies of most species that eat hay usually aren't fed it until older, but never heard/read that babies can't be fed cactus. So, start adding the cactus. I remove the thorns by burning or scraping. For babies I always chopped it up fine or mushed it in the food processor. You can also give a good size chunk and let him bite his own.
You can cut back on the soaks to once a week or even a little less.
Be sure he can get into his water dish easily in case he wants to self soak more.
You now have a juvenile. Couple more years and you can consider him an adult.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Not sure where it says not to feed a baby cactus. Babies of most species that eat hay usually aren't fed it until older, but never heard/read that babies can't be fed cactus. So, start adding the cactus. I remove the thorns by burning or scraping. For babies I always chopped it up fine or mushed it in the food processor. You can also give a good size chunk and let him bite his own.
You can cut back on the soaks to once a week or even a little less.
Be sure he can get into his water dish easily in case he wants to self soak more.
You now have a juvenile. Couple more years and you can consider him an adult.
Thank you. I've still got his original water dish In from when I got him. I've got a brand new terracotta material one that I will put in today. His original water dish isn't tiny, but he couldn't soak in it. I posted a picture on here when I first got him and everyone told me to get it out, as he could drown and it's never even occurred to me to change it. He's been so fussy on the dishes I have got him, that I had to put this current one back in. He wouldn't drink from the others, but I suppose if he's thirst he will drink. I think I fuss too much. He's never ever tasted tap water. I've been collecting rain water since the day I got him. I know tap water is fine. But I try to make it as natural as possible. Thanks again Wellington

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah don't use the one that you were warned about. If you think about it. In the wild, tortoises don't normally have to climb hills/ramps to get a drink. Those ramped ones are dangerous.
A large clay saucer big enough he can fit into which he really barely has to climb over is best and if you bury it level with the substrate, there is no climbing up and over.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Yeah don't use the one that you were warned about. If you think about it. In the wild, tortoises don't normally have to climb hills/ramps to get a drink. Those ramped ones are dangerous.
A large clay saucer big enough he can fit into which he really barely has to climb over is best and if you bury it level with the substrate, there is no climbing up and over.
I've go coco coir in now that's deep enough for him to go under. What's if I buried it level with the surface. For his age he's huge and just won't stop growing "which obviously they do" but he's really is big. Covers the whole of my hand spread out. And I've got big hands ✋️

Attachments

• 20240810_193604.jpg
    20240810_193604.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's beautiful. From what I have seen, those ramped dishes are not big enough to totally fit into and just to dangerous.
However, if you buried it level with substrate, that would make it safer, but be sure he can fit all the way in it. Not deep but diameter

cpl1307

Lancashire
He's beautiful. From what I have seen, those ramped dishes are not big enough to totally fit into and just to dangerous.
However, if you buried it level with substrate, that would make it safer, but be sure he can fit all the way in it. Not deep but diameter
Yeah, your right. They are more ramp than dish. I will measure him, but I think I will go with your idea of the terracotta dish and bury that. Slightly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,
This is going to sound like a really stupid question and obviously the answer would be when they are adults, but when can you stop calling your Tortoise a baby and treating like a baby? For example my Russian is 3 years old, So would he still be classed as a baby or a juvenile? When I got him as a baby I would bath every day because he was a baby. At the age of 3 does he still require a bath everyday? You research how to care for a baby tortoise, but when does that change. I'm just curious. I'd like to fees him some cactus, but it states dont feed a baby tortoise cactus. It's confusing for when things change
Hatchling, baby, yearling, juvenile, sub-adult, adult. I'd call yours a subadult at that size and age. Or juvenile, if you prefer. It really doesn't matter, and there really is no "right" or "wrong" answer.

I start skipping soak days after they pass 100 grams. At the size yours has attained two or three times a week should be sufficient.

I feed cactus pads to brand new hatchlings of many species in their brooder boxes within days of hatching. I don't know where you read not to feed it to babies, but that is incorrect info.

It is not good to use rainwater for drinking. That is not "natural". In the wild, rain water lands on the ground and quickly dissolves salts and minerals into solution as it forms puddles. They need those salts and minerals. Collected rainwater is great for rinsing the tortoise after a soak, or for spraying the enclosure because it doesn't leave hard water stains, aka: mineral deposits behind as the water evaporates. Use tap or drinking water with minerals in it for drinking and soaking. Spray the tortoise with the rain water after a soak to clean it off and remove the mineralized water.