Baby Painted Turtles

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
I have 3 baby painted turtles, a southern, and western, and a midland. Recently my midland's shell has become squishy. I know baby turtles shells start soft and harden over time, but his shell has gotten more and more soft over time.

The southern is a little piggy, but I put plenty if food for them all, I have seen all of them eat before, so I am sure that's not the issue. They are on a diet of pellets, dried shrimp, and dried krill.

The water is kept in the upper 70's, they have both a heat lamp and a UVB lamp. They have a basking area so they can dry their shell out completely.

I am very worried about this. Please help

I have attached some pictures for your enjoyment :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379803953.743548.jpg this is my baby Midland, his name is Sampson!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379803982.682232.jpg this is my baby western, his name is Skipper

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379804006.418833.jpg this is my baby southern, her name is Swift

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure that one gets enough basking time? Is he being bullied or pushed away from basking? Maybe house him by himself and see if he improves.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Id bump up the water temps to 85 to be safe, it will help fight off anything if there so something. But mainly help increase his food digestion and get some growth on him.