10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
waco tx
emysemys said:
This is Tillman:

tillman-1.jpg

Tillman-2.jpg

I received a phone call earlier today asking if I would take in a sick turtle. I said yes and gave directions to my house. The young couple who brought Tillman to me just "love" turtles. She has many turtle statuary around the house. She bought Tillman at a local pet shop as a hatchling 1 1/2 years ago and the pet shop guy told her she would be able to keep him in an aquarium for at least five years. I forgot to ask them what they had been feeding Tillman, but his shell is nice and hard although his beak is somewhat deformed and I doubt in its current state he would be able to bite off anything. He will have to have bite sized pieces of food for a while. The reason she wanted to give him up was because he is listless, not eating and won't open his eyes. I really neglected to get any information from them. It's 115 degrees outside today and I guess I was just anxious to get back inside. Its not my business to ask why they didn't take him to the vet, or to be judgemental, but its pretty hard not to be in this day and age when internet research is so easy and readily available.

I don't know if he's too far gone, but I'll give it the old college try and hope for the best!

Yvonne
his scutes looks like he hasnt had the proper amount of calcim. he probably caught bacteria maybe specteria and a respatory infection from the cage. take him to the vet if u can

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
mtdavis817254 said:
his scutes looks like he hasnt had the proper amount of calcim. he probably caught bacteria maybe specteria and a respatory infection from the cage. take him to the vet if u can

No, that irregular scute pattern happens frequently in babies. Sometimes its due to the egg being too close to the heating element in the incubator. Sometimes its just hereditary. I have a 14 year old Burmese tortoise that came to me as a hatchling from a very knowledgeable breeder in Florida, and she has this same irregular scute pattern. I think I remember the breeder telling me that he let this particular clutch incubate in the nest mound... and I've rescued several sulcatas with carapaces that look like Tillman. Come to think of it, I've seen several photos of the forum folks's tortoises with an irregular scute pattern. I doubt he has an infection, but thanks for being concerned!!

Yvonne

bink90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hey....well that makes me very happy but when taking him to the vet ask the doctor about kiddney problems, sulcatas are notoroius for that ....when having these problems they dont open their eyes very fast at all...and they seem very sluggish. well keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.