Baby Russian Eating Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Louisville, Ohio
Hey guys my baby russian bobo does not seem to be eating very much. I see he poops and pees but I never see him eat very much. I use spring mix for his base then rotate kale, collards, dandelion greens while using a liquid calcium supplement. He just never really eats much. Is it because he is a baby? Also I went to the grocery store and bought him a pack of assorted edible flowers now those he eats without a hitch. Are those ok for him? Also I am on a weird sleep schedule would it help if I got a timer for his lights? What times would be good for on and off? Should I put out smaller amounts of food and cut it down to once a day but still leave greens out all the time? He is pretty active climbs everything and jumps off! My little indiana jones. Also his temps across his habitat is about 65-67 degrees on average is that what I want? Feels like I have to wake him up every morning too.

Thanks

image-3014048709.png

Also I hear russians need fiber I tried timothy hay but a no go. I ordered so mazuri to try. Should I try mazuri? Or another supplement?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ZooMed Grassland tortoise pellets are great fiber and baby tort's love them! You can get them at any PetSmart or Petco :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I think he is a bit too cool. Rts especially hatchlings need to be warmer in order to digest well. 60's are fine for night temps, but he needs a basking area that is around 90-95 for about 10-12 hours of the day. This will probably bring his average temp to around 80 for the rest of the enclosure. A few hides will help him cool off when he needs to.
Congratulations on your new bit of adorableness!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Yeah, his digestion is probably slow because he's not warm enough. When you put in his basking light, just make sure there's nothing directly under the light he can climb on and accidentally flip over. If he gets stuck on his back under the light, he can overheat and die. Also, what type of enclosure do you have him in? If he can see through the sides of it, he'll constantly try to climb and get out.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
His daytime temps are 72 cold end 94 basking. At night his temps in his whole enclosure is between 65 and 68. There is a few flat stones under his basking light. I was told on here to shut all lights off at night thus the average of 67 in his enclosure. He is in a 4X2 cement mixing plastic tray. 2 log hides, fake plants a section of flat rocks food dish, water dish, little patch of fir bark. I will upload a pic of the enclosure tonight. Should i use my 75 watt black night time bulb over his enclosure. It it to cold at 67 at night?

Stenty

5 Year Member
I don't use heat at night for my Russian hatchlings. Every morning I put their light on between 7 and 8. Once they surface, I soak them in lukewarm water while I prepare their greens. The first thing they do when I put them in their enclosure is rush to the food and chow down. They are outside on sunny days and inside on cooler days. I live in San Diego, so most days are sunny. By about 5 PM they dig down for the night, so I bring them in if they are outside. I turn the inside enclosure light off around 7. I use TNT supplement for the hatchlings and adults 2-3 times a week and calcium once a week. I hope this helps.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I picked up some of those grassland tortoise pellets today so we will see what he thinks. Also I have him on a timer now for lights to go off and come on. What are good times??

Status
Not open for further replies.