Baby russian questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsey123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I am going to be getting a baby Russian in October and I can't seem to find much info on the babies so I have a ton of questions!!

1. Is there any specific care they need versus a full grown?

2. When can you usually tell what gender a baby Russian is? I don't care either way, but I would like to have a general idea as to if it's a he or she :) I know about the tail length thing, but can you tell when they are still tiny?

3. Is there anything specific to look for when I get my baby? I was thinking of getting it from the next reptile expo in October and want to know what to look for. Or is it just general health?

Anything else would be greatly appreciated!!!

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Hi Lindsey,

The only thing I do different for the hatchlings than the adults is increase the humidity. Otherwise everything else is the same. food, light, temp, etc.
As far as gender it will be tough to know for sure until they are probably three years old or older.
I wouldn't say that there is anythin specific you are looking for just over all good health the same as what you would look for if you werew buying an adult.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
One key thing is to make sure the tortoise is getting enough calcium for proper shell growth. You should get calcium powder with D3 to sprinkle on their food a couple times a week. This is good practice with adult tortoises as well but it is essential that babies get enough calcium.

When you choose the tortoise, watch them for a little while and look for one that seems to be in overall good health. If they appear more active, that can be a good sign. Look for their eyes to be open, clear, and alert.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.