Baby Russian's Eyes Swollen (Help Please)

zoe98love

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So this morning when I went to feed my baby russian (11 months old) I noticed that he wasn't opening his eyes, or at least not past slits. When I looked closer, I noticed that they were swollen and watering a little. I kind of went into full panic mode and set up a makeshift soak with cut up baby carrots in it and set him in it for nearly a half hour.
His eyes do look a little better now, and I plan to go out and buy baby carrot food tonight and give him a more proper carrot soak, but does anyone have any idea what could have caused his eyes to swell in the first place? Is it just irriation, or is it a sign of something much more serious?
I do plan to take him to the vet if the carrot soaks fail to make him improve.

-- Zoe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bulb might be too close to the floor of the habitat. Move it up so it's not any closer than 12"

Buy some eye ointment. Either one of these two kinds is good:

eye ointment a.jpg

Vetericyn-Animal-Ophthalmic-Gel.jpg

The one in the tube has to be bought at either a feed store or from your vet.

One thing that sometimes goes wrong with baby tortoise's eyes is lack of vitamin A because they're not eating or not eating the right foods. Soak the baby daily for about a half hour each time in a solution of half and half Gerber strained carrots and water. The tortoise will absorb some of the nutrients through the thin skin under his throat and around his tail. The carrots is the highest in vitamin A content.

...and put some plants in the habitat for shade. You can use either real or fake.

zoe98love

Pennsylvania
The bulb might be too close to the floor of the habitat. Move it up so it's not any closer than 12"

Buy some eye ointment. Either one of these two kinds is good:

View attachment 146538

Vetericyn-Animal-Ophthalmic-Gel.jpg

The one in the tube has to be bought at either a feed store or from your vet.

One thing that sometimes goes wrong with baby tortoise's eyes is lack of vitamin A because they're not eating or not eating the right foods. Soak the baby daily for about a half hour each time in a solution of half and half Gerber strained carrots and water. The tortoise will absorb some of the nutrients through the thin skin under his throat and around his tail. The carrots is the highest in vitamin A content.

...and put some plants in the habitat for shade. You can use either real or fake.
The bulb is exactly 12" inches away, so that's okay...I'll look into getting eye ointment. I do have some (real) plants (broad leaf weeds) in his habitat that he both munches on and sleeps under. I'll soak him as soon as I possibly can. Thank you for your help!