Baby Sulcata Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
I am about to get a new baby Sulcata tortoise in a couple of days.It is about a year old and 3 1/4 Inches in length.He is actually my second Sulcata tortoise as I have another one which I bought a week ago and it is 4 Inches in length.My question is would an enclosure measuring 3 Feet by 3 Feet be too large for a Sulcata tortoise measuring 3 1/4 Inches.Also,could a 3 1/4 Inches and a 4 Inches in length Sulcata tortoise be housed together?Also,if my Sulcata tortoises get an hour of direct sunlight during the morning(8:00-9:00 A.M.),do I still have to add a UV light when I bring them back to their indoor enclosure?By the way,I live here in the Philippines where it is so much warmer and hotter than the climate in the U.S.A..Humidity here also in my country is quite high as compared to the U.S.A..
Thanks.

PS.Is the noontime sun bad for Sulcatas?
Thanks.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am not a Sulcata keeper, but you can find lots of good information and photos if you browse the Sulcata Central and Enclosures sections of this forum.

As a regular thread reader here, I think I can say that 3'x3' seems like a good size for a FIRST enclosure for baby sulcatas; they will need to be transitioned to larger spaces as they grow. ;)

Because they are virtually the same size, you could eventually try them in the same enclosure, AFTER a 3-6 month quarantine to ensure that one does not infect the other with viruses or parasites. When you do put them together, watch them closely to ensure that one does not bully or intimidate the other to where one may not be getting enough food and is stressed all the time.

I believe that one hour of direct sunlight a day will provide enough UVB rays for healthy growth. I would think since they're babies you should always provide an area of shade that they can retreat to if they need it. :p

The high humidity of the Philippines should benefit the Sulcatas shell growth. Congratulations on your Sulcata babies! :D

If you keep them well, they should provide giant-sized entertainment for you for the rest of your life and beyond! Don't forget to enlist one of your grandchildren someday to pledge to care for these guys after you depart! ;)

In the meantime, how about some photos for us to love? :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to reply to this, but I can't improve upon what Stephanie told you. Instead I'll wish you good luck on your new adventure. You must have great weeds to feed out in the Phillipines. That's what I notice wherever I go in the world now. I'll be walking by an empty lot in some other county and go "man, look at all that great tortoise food!"

On your P.S. : Sunshine is great anytime of the day, including Noon. Just make sure, like Stephanie suggested, that they ALWAYS have at least some shade to retreat to.

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
Stephanie Logan said:
I am not a Sulcata keeper, but you can find lots of good information and photos if you browse the Sulcata Central and Enclosures sections of this forum.

As a regular thread reader here, I think I can say that 3'x3' seems like a good size for a FIRST enclosure for baby sulcatas; they will need to be transitioned to larger spaces as they grow. ;)

Because they are virtually the same size, you could eventually try them in the same enclosure, AFTER a 3-6 month quarantine to ensure that one does not infect the other with viruses or parasites. When you do put them together, watch them closely to ensure that one does not bully or intimidate the other to where one may not be getting enough food and is stressed all the time.

I believe that one hour of direct sunlight a day will provide enough UVB rays for healthy growth. I would think since they're babies you should always provide an area of shade that they can retreat to if they need it. :p

The high humidity of the Philippines should benefit the Sulcatas shell growth. Congratulations on your Sulcata babies! :D

If you keep them well, they should provide giant-sized entertainment for you for the rest of your life and beyond! Don't forget to enlist one of your grandchildren someday to pledge to care for these guys after you depart! ;)

In the meantime, how about some photos for us to love? :cool:

As soon as I get my camera which was borrowed by a friend of mine,I shall post some pictures of my 2 new Sulcatas.

Roachman26 said:
I was going to reply to this, but I can't improve upon what Stephanie told you. Instead I'll wish you good luck on your new adventure. You must have great weeds to feed out in the Phillipines. That's what I notice wherever I go in the world now. I'll be walking by an empty lot in some other county and go "man, look at all that great tortoise food!"

On your P.S. : Sunshine is great anytime of the day, including Noon. Just make sure, like Stephanie suggested, that they ALWAYS have at least some shade to retreat to.

Stephanie and Roachman,
Thanks a lot for your replies.It's really a big help to a newbie owner of Sulcata tortoises like me.You know what,at first,my wife was against me owning these pets but after seeing the first one that I bought last week,she found it so adorable that she allowed me to buy a second one which I am getting tomorrow.
Again,Many Thanks.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Kumusta ka? :) Congrats on your new additions..what are of the PI are you in?

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
sammi said:
Kumusta ka? :) Congrats on your new additions..what are of the PI are you in?

I live here in Makati.How about you,anong parte ng U.S. ikaw nakatira?How long have you lived there already?Are you also a Sulcata owner?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.