Baby Sulcata Tortoise Help

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I have a 4 week old Sulcata Tortoise that I got three days ago at a reptile show. I received a lot of conflicting information but after being on here and scrolling through a lot of the threads I'm pretty sure I have her substrate correct. She has coconut fiber that is mixed with Zoo Med sphagnum moss on a little over half her enclosure but she is eating the moss. Is this dangerous for her or is the wrong type of moss? Her humidity is 80% she has a hid on the warm side that is 100 degrees and on the cool side that is 85 degrees. She has a 15W 18" Exo Terra 10.0 UVB tube bulb that is 33% UVA and 10%UVB and also a Zoo Med 100W UVA Basking Spot lamp. Her food is Collard Greens, Dandelion Greens, Turnip Greens, Orchard Grass and then a pellet food that the breeder gave to me called Mazuri from Purina (she hasn't touched it) and I dusted the greens with calcium and will do so once a week. She scarfs down the greens and she has fresh water that is readily available and is changed twice a day.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Sounds good. Very soon someone will come on here and tell you to read Tom's threads. I do not have the link myself. Read them and then when you are finished, read them again. Welcome and enjoy your little guy!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't use the moss because they like to eat it . I use coco coir and cypress mulch. Some people use it and never have a problem. But my sulcata eats everything . So I can't use it don't want to risk him getting stopped up .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe I post on your intro thread, but below is Toms threads for raising a healthy smooth sulcata.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would remove the moss. Coir is good, but fine orchid bark is my favorite for sulcata babies. I find it a lot less messy.

Please feel free to ask lots of questions. We are a friendly helpful community here. We all want to see your tortoise thrive.

DWB

5 Year Member
My hatchling S seems to eat(or at least try) his substrate at times. I am using fir bark, which is the equivalent of orchid bark. I already fear that he is overeating, or am I overfeeding. Just a week ago I was worrying that he was not eating at all. Then I was worrying about feeding too much oxalic acid. Then I was worrying that he was not pooping. Just this morning he presented me with a gift of poo so I can move on to worrying about something else. Boy, this is fun!

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I have the coconut substrate in there right now that comes in a brick and soaked it and squeezed the excess water out. Is that ok or is there an impaction risk with it. The humidity gauge is between 77 and 80. Maia burrows in and out of it and doesn't seem to be eating it and her food is in a wide dish so she doesn't ingest the fibers

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383588804.107575.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Maiasmom said:
I have the coconut substrate in there right now that comes in a brick and soaked it and squeezed the excess water out. Is that ok or is there an impaction risk with it. The humidity gauge is between 77 and 80. Maia burrows in and out of it and doesn't seem to be eating it and her food is in a wide dish so she doesn't ingest the fibers

I use and love the same stuff you are using. To stop the water from turning into mud, simply put down a top layer of mulch, orchid bark...really any of these things. organic is best, never use rubber mulch. The bottom layer of coco coir will stay moist for a long time. Also, coco coir will not cause impaction like some other products.

Maiasmom

5 Year Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383603031.610427.jpg Maia seems to really love turnip greens and collard greens
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383603101.578827.jpg one part of her enclosure so far

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That substrate is fine. Its my second favorite. I use it for Desert tortoise and russian hatchlings.

Food dish is a good idea.