baby tortoise how is he doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise44

5 Year Member
hi I got my little baby maybe about two weeks ago well I think hes doing great right now I try to get him outside 4 times a week I soak him in warm water everyday I mist his cage also on his shell and around the cage probably three times a day I feed him a lot of kale and when hes outside he eats weeds mainly hes kept on coconut fiber and he has a basking lamp that reaches at least 93 degrees for twelve hours then he has an undertank heater for night it seems hes only gained about two grams in a week so idk he has a water bowl also but he gets it all dirty everytime so I don't know if he drinks it its also big enough to soak in he will he some zoo med grassland diet if its with another food he also has a cuttlebone which I don't think he uses so I sprinkle calcium on his food sometimes and I just ordered some mazuri tortoise diet

tortoise44

5 Year Member
ok ya I fed him dandelions also when there were some so I need to get some more also im probably going to get argula

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spring mix, cactus, mulberry, hibiscus, all really good to feed. Also, check out the tortoisetable.org for more edible plants and weeds.

tortoise44

5 Year Member
the only thing I don't really like is all the spring mixes in my stores have lettuce in them I heard its not really that good for them

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Give him as much variety as possible. Cut the foods up so that he can't pick and choose. He may stomp all over the food a few times, but he will eat it. Add new food items to those that he eats regularly (his favorites) so that he is more likely to eat. The lettuce in Spring Mix is not iceberg lettuce (that's got to be the worst food for a tortoise) and is tender leafs that babies can eat. An alternative to Spring Mix is Santa Barbara Mix. It usually has endive, escarole, and radicchio.

tortoise44

5 Year Member
so like romaine lettuce with other foods like kale raddicho arguala sprin mix weeds mazuri and zoo med grassland diet be good

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: baby tortoise how is he doing

tortoise44 said:
so like romaine lettuce with other foods like kale raddicho arguala sprin mix weeds mazuri and zoo med grassland diet be good

Don't limit yourself (or your tort) to just these.
Feed these but also lots more! :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

tortoise44

5 Year Member
oh yeah I know that ill give him a variety just that's going to be easy food to get my grandma works at safeway and told me they got dandelion greens in so shes gonna get me some im so happy

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
I just recently started to grow my own greens because buying them every week, will definitely start to add up... You can purchase all different kinds of seeds from Arizona Tortoise Compound or other sites as well. I am currently growing grass, clovers, collard, chicory and endive. They all grow really well and you can just go out and cut some off every day for your little one and they just grow back... I don't know how big your little one is, but you can also just put him where they are growing so he can graze as well... Also, make sure you mix things up, for example, one day feed dandelion and collard, then the next do grass and endive, then the next do some other mixture of greens. This way he doesn't really have the option to be picky and will get a good nutrient mixture everyday :)

These are just some things I do, and I think they work really well. :) Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.