feeding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
So how much would a 50 lb sulcata eat? Got mine a week ago and when hes out and about he grazes and if its raining or i cant bring him outside i feed him kale and some butternut squash. butternut squash is ok right? cause he seems to love it. How much would a healthy tort eat? do i just feed him til he no longer eats?

Also hes inside right now as im finishing his enclosure. and hes pretty active outside, exploring and what not.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they eat all day.. I dont know if there is a set amount. how much per pound.. etc..
He needs a bigger variety, then kale and butternut..but i thought he ate hay.. if he does,, that is really all he needs. Variety not necc If you offer and feed too much other stuff. he will stop eating the hay. Dont spoil him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They can eat A LOT! One that size could easily put away ten "heads" of normal grocery store produce in a day. Frequently, I'll give mine a pile of stuff as big as they are in the morning and then watch them continue to graze on weeds and grass hay all day long. Sometimes I'll give them another tray full in the afternoon just to see if they'll eat it after filling up in the morning and grazing all day. Of course, they eat it right up.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
mmk well that gives me an idea of what he'll eat. thanks!

M

Maggie Cummings

I use squash as a treat for Bob, not as a staple diet. Hay is good for the days they can't go outside, but at 50 pounds yours is big enough to go out and graze in the rain for a while. I allow Bob the choice to go out or not. I just open his doggie door every morning and let him make the choice. We are in our rainy weather but he still goes out every afternoon and grazes. A Sulcata will eat all day. In the wild they walk for miles eating as they go. I think an adult Sulcata is smart enough to know what and how much they should eat. I personally don't think you can feed an adult too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.