adult sulcata calcium

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
My 10 yo 85-100 lb sulcata lives outside. He grazes (bermuda and st augustine grass/weeds...) year round and this is the first winter that he has really started liking to eat hay. Occasionally he gets squash, zucchini, cucumber, spring mix, various greens, flowers, mazuri pellets and optunia cactus. My question is should I still give him calcium or any other supplements?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The opuntia is calcium rich. If you think he needs more than the food gives him, leave a cuttlebone in his yard for him to chew on.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
The opuntia is calcium rich. If you think he needs more than the food gives him, leave a cuttlebone in his yard for him to chew on.
Thanks Yvonne. I currently have a tortoise block in his food bowl but he never touches it. Think I'll replace that with cuttlebone! Is it possible or would it be harmful for him to get too much calcium?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 10 yo 85-100 lb sulcata lives outside. He grazes (bermuda and st augustine grass/weeds...) year round and this is the first winter that he has really started liking to eat hay. Occasionally he gets squash, zucchini, cucumber, spring mix, various greens, flowers, mazuri pellets and optunia cactus. My question is should I still give him calcium or any other supplements?
I little calcium supplementation once or twice a week won't hurt anything, but its also probably not necessary in your case.

Look for mulberry leaves and grape leaves in spring in addition to the weeds, grasses, hay, and opuntia.