Baby won't eat!! Sleeps all day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootingstars

5 Year Member
I have a hatchling about 1yr old. It stopped eating 3 weeks ago and sleeps all day. The basking temp is 95+ and the other side is high 80s. I feed bagged green's with calc. powder once a week. I do have uvb light's on him too. He also get's a 10-15 min soak every other day. Currently he look's very dry and lay's his head in the sand. He also seem's like it's a chore to walk?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Send us a pic of him and the enclosure. Temps sound adequate. Does he/she ever get sunshine/exercise? You said "sand". If that's your substrate you could have an impaction. There are some non-surgical remedies for this, but have a vet verify it first with x-rays.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shootingstars:

If you have a yearling sulcata tortoise that hasn't eaten in three weeks, then you have a very sick little baby. You need to take immediate action or you're going to lose this baby.

Is there a good reptile vet near you?

Please take another look at your husbandry and make improvements quickly.

A good substrate that can be moistened (cypress mulch, coconut coir or even clean garden soil)
A UV light that is positioned about 12" from the floor of the habitat on one end of the habitat (I like the T-Rex 100 watt UV/spot
A hiding place
A temperature gradient of about 85 to 90 on the warm side and room temperature but not below 70 on the cool end
A good soak at least every other day
A diet of dark, leafy greens including a bit of grass or clean hay
A calcium supplement

Good luck with your baby. Please keep us informed and ask any questions that you may have.

(Welcome to the forum!)

I see you're in Eugene. Geography isn't my strong suit. Is that anywhere near Corvallis? Dr. Vickstrom in Corvallis is GREAT with baby tortoises.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm in Corvallis and am willing to give you any help I can. My Vet as Yvonne says is great with tortoises. You need to read Yvonne's post and make the needed changes. Babies need to be fed everyday, not once a week. Start offering any greens even romaine for now. Soak him in warm water for about 10 minutes then offer some leafy greens right away. Let me know if I can help you. I am only 30 miles away.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
You need to get him better substrate right away! Make sure your not useing a coil bulb they cause eye problems. Welcome to the forum you will get great advice here!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Please keep us updated on your little one's health.

Are you taking him to the vet tomorrow to make sure it's not an impaction?

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I hope he gets better soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.