baking coco fibre

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol Uk
can somebody please tell me how i bake the coco fibre? do i bake the block before adding the water or vice versa? at the moment it's in the freezer where it'll stay for the next three weeks ( i wanna be absolutely sure :) ) also do i boil the orchid bark as well? thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I bake the brick dry as is at 250 for 2-3 hours.
Freezing didn't help much when I tried it. Boiling will work but baking is easier. Don't need to bake and boil, do one or the other.
An fyi, it does work, I have done the baking every time when I had little ones. However, eventually the bugs will come, but it was close to a year before I had them.

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
I bake the brick dry as is at 250 for 2-3 hours.
Freezing didn't help much when I tried it. Boiling will work but baking is easier. Don't need to bake and boil, do one or the other.
An fyi, it does work, I have done the baking every time when I had little ones. However, eventually the bugs will come, but it was close to a year before I had them.
thankyou for your help, and what about the orchid bark, do i boil or just wash this through before using? im not ready to change the substrate yet but i want to be prepared for when i do, and if it lasts just a couple of months i'd be happy, but these little bugs have surfaced after just three weeks, but needless to say i never knew about baking the coco fibre.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bake the orchid bark too. Same temp and same amount of time.
Temp can be 200-250 for both coir and bark.