New xoc fibre getting luttle sprouts

sineadmcy

Location (City and/or State)
Southend-on-Sea
I also have redone my tortoise vivs with new coco fibre and the couple of weeks in also getting these little green sprouts with 2 little green leafs i pull them up from the roots and in couple days coming up again they grow fast I haven't planted any thing in my vivs they drive.me mad as the spread quick what are they and are they dangerous to my shell babys how do they get in there solid blocks when you buy them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also have redone my tortoise vivs with new coco fibre and the couple of weeks in also getting these little green sprouts with 2 little green leafs i pull them up from the roots and in couple days coming up again they grow fast I haven't planted any thing in my vivs they drive.me mad as the spread quick what are they and are they dangerous to my shell babys how do they get in there solid blocks when you buy them
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you got a batch that was contaminated with seeds at some point in its journey. I'd try to let some grow, out of reach of the tortoise, so you can see what it is. I would simply replace that substrate to be safe. I've used 100s of blocks of cod over the decades, and I've never had that happen. I have had batches that would grow a weird creeping yellow slime fungus of some sort, or small mushrooms, and I simply replaced it when that happened.

Also, coco fiber is not a good tortoise substrate. The long fibers will be ingested and that is not good. Coco coir is a better way to go and less problematic for your tortoise. Avoid coco chips for tortoises too. Fine grade orchid bark is a better way to go for most species and most applications.

What species of tortoise and how many do you have?

More info here that will help you:

sineadmcy

Southend-on-Sea
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you got a batch that was contaminated with seeds at some point in its journey. I'd try to let some grow, out of reach of the tortoise, so you can see what it is. I would simply replace that substrate to be safe. I've used 100s of blocks of cod over the decades, and I've never had that happen. I have had batches that would grow a weird creeping yellow slime fungus of some sort, or small mushrooms, and I simply replaced it when that happened.

Also, coco fiber is not a good tortoise substrate. The long fibers will be ingested and that is not good. Coco coir is a better way to go and less problematic for your tortoise. Avoid coco chips for tortoises too. Fine grade orchid bark is a better way to go for most species and most applications.

What species of tortoise and how many do you have?

More info here that will help you:
Sorry yeah it is coco coir that I used this is the 3rd time I've redone with complete choir and always get these come up have done for 5 years I have 10 tortoise i have 4 spur thigh and 6 hermans all range i age from 3 to 15

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry yeah it is coco coir that I used this is the 3rd time I've redone with complete choir and always get these come up have done for 5 years I have 10 tortoise i have 4 spur thigh and 6 hermans all range i age from 3 to 15
That sounds like a great tortoise collection!