Basking light recommendation

Jsvargas13

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello,
I live in California and was wondering what basking bulb I should get for my sulcata? Any recommendations? Would the bulb I have in my next post work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those should work, but I don't think you will be able to get them in CA. Incandescent bulbs are banned here. You have to order them and have them shipped to someone out of state, and then they have to ship them in to you.

It doesn't say it in what you posted, but I'll bet those are LED "65 Watt Replacement" bulbs.

If you are able to get actual incandescent bulbs here in CA, please let me know. I'll be ordering a case.

Jsvargas13

California
Those should work, but I don't think you will be able to get them in CA. Incandescent bulbs are banned here. You have to order them and have them shipped to someone out of state, and then they have to ship them in to you.

It doesn't say it in what you posted, but I'll bet those are LED "65 Watt Replacement" bulbs.

If you are able to get actual incandescent bulbs here in CA, please let me know. I'll be ordering a case.
You’re absolutely right, I was prevented from checking out :/. Do you recommend any other bulb I can get here if I can’t get it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is the bulb you need. Our lunatic criminal government has decided we can't buy them anymore.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@Tom
@Jsvargas13

I did a lot of searching to find out the wording of the law. There has been some concern about the legality of what we're doing.

I was unable to find the actual law, but found many explanations of it, and I found the possible punishments for violating it.

For me, these were just as good as the original law itself.

Without fail, EVERY document said the same thing...incandescents are not "to be sold or offered for sale".

Nowhere did I find anything to suggest that possessing them or using them was an issue.

Later today I'll post the document I found...not enough time right now.

Reactions: Tom

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@Tom

Here are some of the documents I found...they'll put you straight to sleep :) I did some bold and italic to make it easier to find what we're interested in.

Title 20
Fact Sheet
What specific lighting products are covered
by state or federal regulations?
California’s Title 20
Section 1605.1 of California’s Appliance Efficiency
Regulations (Title 20) provides federal standards
adopted verbatim and include the same lightingi
products covered by the Department of Energy
(DOE). Section 1605.3 lists state standards that are
required for lighting products sold or offered for sale
in California
. Lighting products in both sections must
be certified to the California Energy Commission
(Energy Commission) and be listed in its Modernized
Appliance Efficiency Database System (MAEDBS).
California’s Title 24, Part 6
Under the state’s Building Energy Efficiency
Standards, LED light sources must be certified to the
Energy Commission before they can be claimed as
“high efficacy,” according to the definition provided
in Joint Appendix 8 of Title 24. Section 110.9 (e)
states that, to qualify as high efficacy, a residential
LED luminaire or LED light engine must be certified
to the Energy Commission.
What regulations apply to portable
luminaires?
Title 20 includes performance requirements for
portable luminaires verified by specified test
procedures. The regulations also include prescriptive
requirements for this product type (i.e., be equipped
with a dedicated fluorescent lamp socket connected
to a high frequency electronic ballast contained
within the portable luminaire).
Certification to the Energy Commission using
MAEDBS is required. Data submission requirements
include type of portable luminaire (floor, table,
other); total number of lamp sockets; base type;
compliance method used; zero standby power;
GU-24 sockets rated; and power factor (for
luminaires labeled or sold for residential use only).
LED luminaires must also have the following data
reported: LED Light Output; LED Efficacy; Nominal
Color Correlated Temperature (CCT); and Color
Rendering Index (CRI).

What’s Included?
Title 20 Regulated Lighting Products
Section 1605.1
Federal and State Standards for
Federally-Regulated Appliances
Section 1605.3
State Standards for
Non-Federally-Regulated Appliances
Fluorescent Lamp Ballasts
General Service Fluorescent Lamps
Incandescent Reflector Lamps
Medium Base Compact Fluorescent Lamps
General Service Incandescent Lamps and Modified
Spectrum General Service Incandescent Lamps

Candelabra Base Incandescent Lamps and Intermediate
Base Incandescent Lamps
Emergency Lighting and Self-Contained Lighting Controls
Traffic Signal Modules and Traffic Signal Lamps
Torchieres
Metal Halide Lamp Fixtures
State-Regulated Incandescent
Reflector Lamps
State-Regulated General Service Incandescent Lamps,
General Service Lamps, and Modified Spectrum
Incandescent Lamps

GU-24 Base Lamps
Illuminated Exit Signs
Self-Contained Lighting Controls
Metal Halide Luminaires
Under-Cabinet Luminaires
(commercial office only)
Portable Luminaires
GU-24 Adaptors
Are small-directional lamps and general purpose LEDs regulated under Title 20?
Beginning January 1, 2018, small-diameter directional lamps and general purpose LEDs manufactured on or after January 1, 2018 must be compliant with Title 20 Standards. The LED standards have additional requirements that will take effect July 1, 2019 In preparation for when these standards go into effect, the Energy Commission recently removed LED lamps already listed in the Appliance Efficiency Database as they are not yet a regulated appliance. The Energy Commission will begin accepting certification for LED lamps in 2017. For more information visit the Energy Commission’s California Appliance Efficiency Program site. What about ceiling fan light kits? What is the scope and structure of the regulations applicable to these products? Recently amended federal standards for ceiling fan light kits (CFLKs) will go into effect January 7, 2019. CFLKs manufactured on or after January 1, 2007 but prior to January 7, 2019 must be packaged with specific lamp types to fill all sockets, based on screw-base type. The amended standards, effective 2019, have lumen, efficacy, rapid cycle stress test, and lifetime requirements for the lamps packaged along with the CFLKs. For more information visit the U.S. DOE Appliance and Equipment Standards Program site. Certification to both the federal database and MAEDBS is required. Who Needs to Comply – and How? Are retailers responsible for complying with Title 20? How about installation contractors? Yes and yes. Everyone in the sales chain – including manufacturers, distributors, retailers, contractors and importers – is responsible for ensuring regulated products are listed in the MAEDBS. Each party should independently determine applicable regulations for certain product types by referring to the Title 20 standards document. Do out-of-state retailers have to meet the Title 20 requirements if they sell lighting products to someone in California via an internet or mail order sale? Yes. Products sold online from out-of-state retailers to California residents must meet Title 20 requirements since they are being offered for sale and sold into California. Do lighting showrooms or other retailers have to mark the products in some way to show that they meet the Title 20 requirements? Currently, neither showrooms nor retailers are required to mark the Pproducts to indicate compliance with Title 20 requirements. However, they must ensure that regulated products are compliant by verifying that the model numbers of regulated products are listed in the MAEDBS prior to offering the products for sale in California.
How about the product manufacturers – do they have labeling or marking requirements that have to be followed?
Title 20 specifies marking requirements for manufacturers in Section 1607(b), which states that the following must be “permanently, legibly, and conspicuously displayed on an accessible place on each unit” of the regulated appliance: 1. Manufacturer’s name or brand name or trademark 2. Model number 3. Date of manufacture, including year and month or smaller increment Sections 1607(d)(5), 1607(d)(6), and 1607(d)(11) contain additional requirements for illuminated exit signs, luminaires (torchieres), and emergency lighting and self-contained lighting controls, respectively.

Regulation and Enforcement Who determines the regulations and why?
The Energy Commission determines and establishes all aspects of the Title 20 regulations. The Energy Commission invites stakeholders to participate by submitting data, comments, and recommendations throughout various stages of the rulemaking process. The regulations aim to cost-effectively regulate certain appliances and equipment sold within the state to reduce the energy demand of California and provide benefits to consumers. Who enforces the requirements? The Energy Commission maintains the authority to enforce Title 20 requirements and assess administrative civil penalties for noncompliance. Title 20 Section 1609 outlines enforcement procedures for violations with Title 20 standards. More information can be found on the Energy Commission’s California Appliance Efficiency Program site. How often are the Title 20 lighting product requirements updated – and when is the next update? Title 20 standards are not updated according to a regular cycle. Although the Title 20 document is updated roughly every year to ensure that changes to the Federal standards are incorporated, most individual lighting standards are not changed this often. The frequency of updates for lighting products depends, in part, on how rapidly technologies are changing, but most specific lighting product standards can remain in effect for 3 to 10 years before they are updated.

Where can I find specific requirements for each product? Is there a listing or website where these requirements are listed by type of product?

Currently, the standards can be found in the Energy Commission’s Appliance Efficiency Regulations (Title 20) document. Specifically, lighting standards are located in Title 20 sections 1605.1 (j) through (n) and 1605.3 (j) through (n). Sections 1601 and 1602 define the scope and definitions of appliances and equipment listed in Title 20. The Title 20 regulations and more related information can be found on the Energy Commission’s The Energy Commission Appliance Efficiency Program site offers numerous Title 20 resources, including information on enforcement and product requirements.

If a particular product is not marked or labeled as Title 20 compliant, how can I find out if that product can be sold in my showroom?

Verifying compliance with Title 20 involves confirming that the model number of the appliance is listed in the MAEDBS. Depending on the date of manufacture of the product, it will be certified to the Energy Commission as compliant with the applicable standard. If approved, the model number, along with manufacturer, brand, and other product metrics will be listed in the appropriate product listing in the MAEDBS. You can search for products from the MAEDBS landing page.

BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness Title 20. Public Utilities and Energy Division 2. State Energy Resources Conservation and Development Commission Chapter 4. Energy Conservation Article 4. Appliance Efficiency Regulations (Refs & Annos) 20 CCR § 1609 § 1609.

Administrative Civil Penalties. (a) Violations Subject to Administrative Civil Penalties.
(1) Any person, including a retailer, manufacturer, contractor, importer or distributor, that sells or offers for sale an appliance, which is not listed in the
MAEDbS,
is in violation of section 1608(a)(1) of this Article and may be subject to an administrative civil penalty for each unit of the appliance that was sold or is offered for sale.

(2) Any person who manufactures, imports or distributes an appliance that is subsequently sold or offered for sale by another person for end use in California, when the manufacturer has not tested, marked or certified the appliance, in violation of sections 1608(a)(2)(A), 1608(a)(2)(B), or 1608(a)(2)(C) of this Article, or when the appliance does not meet the efficiency standards referred to in sections 1608(a)(3) and 1608(a)(4) of this Article, may be subject to an administrative civil penalty for each unit of the appliance that was sold or is offered for sale, unless the manufacturer, distributor or importer can demonstrate both that the appliance was intended for shipment and use outside of California, and that the manufacturer, distributor or importer took reasonably prudent precautions to assure that the appliance would not be sold or offered for sale in California.

(3) Any person who knowingly provides materially false information to the Energy Commission in a statement made pursuant to any provision of this Article that includes a declaration, executed under penalty of perjury, may be subject to an administrative civil penalty. This may be in addition to any administrative civil penalty assessed pursuant to sections 1609(a)(1) or 1609(a)(2) of this Article. The Energy Commission may consider the making of a false statement in a declaration submitted under penalty of perjury to be evidence of willfulness under section 1609(b)(3)(E) of this Article.

0 (b) Assessment of Administrative Civil Penalties. (1) An administrative civil penalty of up to the maximum amount provided by Section 25402.11 of the Public Resources Code may be assessed for each unit of the appliance that was sold or is offered for sale in California in violation of section 1608(a) of this Article, pursuant to sections 1609(a)(1) or 1609(a)(2) of this Article, or for each false statement, pursuant to section 1609(a)(3) of this Article.
(2) If more than one person is responsible for a sale or offer for sale in violation of section 1608(a) of this Article, the Energy Commission may apportion liability amongst the persons responsible for the violation.
(3) In determining the amount of an administrative civil penalty for each violation, the Energy Commission shall consider the following factors:
(A) The nature and seriousness of the violation.
(B) The persistence of the violation, meaning a responsible person's history of past violations of this Article over the previous seven years.
(C) The number of violations arising from the course of conduct that is the subject of the enforcement proceeding.
(D) The length of time over which the violation occurred.
(E) The willfulness of the persons responsible for the violation.
(F) The harm to consumers and to the state that resulted from the amount of energy wasted due to the violation.
(G) The number of persons responsible for the violation.
(H) The efforts of the persons responsible for the violation to correct the violation prior to initiation of an enforcement action by the Energy Commission.
(I) The cooperation, by persons responsible for the violation, with the Energy Commission during its investigation.
(J) The assets, liabilities, and net worth of the persons responsible for the violation. This information will be considered to reduce the administrative civil penalty amount, should a responsible person or persons elect to provide asset, liability, and net worth documentation to the Executive Director to demonstrate that a reduction in a penalty amount is necessary to avoid an undue burden.

(c) Notices of Violation. The Executive Director, or his or her designee, shall send a written Notice of Violation by certified mail (registered mail to non-U.S. destinations) or other means that provide actual notice to the person in violation of this Article.

The Notice of Violation shall contain the following information:
(1) The name and address of the person responsible for the violation;
(2) A statement indicating the statute, regulation, order, or decision upon which the Notice of Violation is based, including any provisions relating to the assessment of administrative civil penalties;
(3) A statement of facts upon which the Notice of Violation is based, including a description of the appliances or units of appliances at issue and a reference to model numbers.

(d) Settlement. Consistent with California Government Code Section 11415.60, the Energy Commission may at any time issue a decision by settlement with a responsible person. The settlement agreement may include appropriate sanctions and remedies to address violations and promote compliance.

(e) Administrative Proceedings.
(1) No earlier than 30 days after issuing a Notice of Violation, the Executive Director may initiate an adjudicative proceeding to impose administrative civil penalties if the Executive Director determines that the responsible person has not made sufficient progress in addressing the violations identified in the Notice of Violation.
(2) The proceeding shall be initiated by filing and serving an accusation as specified in California Government Code Section 11505. The accusation shall include an assessment of penalties based on the factors set forth in subsection (b)(3), and may include other information from the Notice of Violation.
(3) The proceeding shall be conducted in a manner consistent with Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 11400) and Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 11500) of part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of the California Government Code.
(4) The proceeding shall be heard by an administrative law judge pursuant to Government Code Section 11517(c), unless the Chair orders that the proceeding be heard directly by the Energy Commission with the assistance of an Administrative Law Judge pursuant to California Government Code Section 11517(b).
(5) After the hearing referenced in section 1609(e)(4) of this Article, the Energy Commission shall issue or adopt a decision on whether a violation of this article has been committed, and assess appropriate penalties based on application of the factors set forth in section 1609(b)(3) of this Article.

(f) Other Enforcement Procedures. The Executive Director and Energy Commission may take other such actions as are authorized by statute and Energy Commission regulations to address or prevent any act or omission addressed under this Article.

(g) Judicial Review. An order of the Energy Commission imposing an administrative civil penalty shall be subject to judicial review pursuant to Public Resources Code Sections 25534.2(a) and 25534.2(b). Note: Authority cited: Sections 25213, 25218 and 25402.11, Public Resources Code. Reference: Sections 25402 and 25402.11, Public Resources Code. HISTORY 1. New section filed 5-29-2015; operative 7-1-2015 (Register 2015, No. 22). 2. Amendment filed 9-26-2018; operative 10-1-2018 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2018, No. 39). 3. Editorial correction of subsection (e)(3) (Register 2018, No. 45). This database is current through 6/5/20 Register 2020, No. 23 20 CCR § 1609, 20 CA ADC § 1609 END OF DOCUMENT© 2020 Thomson Reuters.