Bathing the tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andylee200

5 Year Member
Hello,

can someone please tell me the basics of bathing a tortoise?
e.g. temperature of water,
what do i do? - just leave it in some water?
how much water? - just to the nose?

sorry for the 10000 questions. haha :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
we love questions here i would not say to its nose the water should be as deep as the bottom of its plastron wher the plastron and carapace join,
Im not sure about temperature precisely, but definetly luke warm water for about 20 mins,
Do not use any oild or anything a soft headed ttoothbrush and genly brush the carapace,plastron and limbs....any longer than 20mins you will probably have to fill the water up again with being so little water it will get cold easier and faster xx hope this helped!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tyler gives you good advice...luke warm water about 1/2 as deep as the tort is tall...Inside, mine get 45 minutes, but after the 1st 10-15, they've "pooped", and the water gets changed.

W/ 4 torts, it takes maybe 3 hours, in all, so I do it in the evenings while I'm watching TV or reading.

Outside, they avail themselves of the large (large enough for 4 Hermann's), shallow water dish for as long as they've the notion...seems they keep cool that way, too.

a4dc9165-f0b9-4dba-bd3d-8f579d43a152

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
with only the one tortoise here its kinda simple i use a low power shower head to get the physical dirt off then i brush with a dog toothbrush then soak for 15mins!
Terry is a good keeper with alot of info to give you!

River14

5 Year Member
Is it better to bath in the sunshine or shade? Reason I ask is then they get their morning and afternoon basking done at the same time?

Have to say mine get restless and try and climb out after bout ten minutes, but they are babies so I suppose long enough

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
wherever should be okay just keep an eye on the temperature (hot,cold etc) i do my in my bathtub so obviously its in shade i some people get a newborn baby bath fll it with water and put there tortoise heat/basking lamp hanging above the small tub to keep it warm!
Hope this helped!

Andylee200

5 Year Member
THANK YOU EVERYONE! :)

so is the 'aim' of bathing them to get the physical dirt away?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
LukeWarm Water Up To Thier Plastron, and Leave Him In There 10-20 Mintues!
Keep a Close Eye At All Times, Most Get Relaxed and Either Pee or Poop, or Some Fall Asleeep
With thier Head In The Water :)

Status
Not open for further replies.