Be Careful Of UV Lamps

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
I cleaned Jacky's enclosure whilst she was soaking this morning and got a bit too close to the lamp:IMG20230521211354.jpg

MaNaAk

Southend
What sort of UV bulb did that? How long was your arm under it?
Dear Tom,

I just tapped the bulb as I replaced everything after cleaning Jacky's enclosure. It's just superficial but I wanted to warn everyone please be careful of the lights. Below is a picture of the spare bulb: IMG20230522084045.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dear Tom,

I just tapped the bulb as I replaced everything after cleaning Jacky's enclosure. It's just superficial but I wanted to warn everyone please be careful of the lights. Below is a picture of the spare bulb: View attachment 357174
I know it says UVA on the package, but that isn't a "UV" bulb. Its just a basking bulb. It will not meet your tortoises need for UVB, which is why we use UV bulbs.

Also, spot type bulbs should not be used over tortoises. You need a flood type bulb.

What you have there is a simple thermal burn, not a UV burn. I think the title of your thread will confuse people. You got burned by a hot basking bulb, not a UV bulb.

MaNaAk

Southend
I know it says UVA on the package, but that isn't a "UV" bulb. Its just a basking bulb. It will not meet your tortoises need for UVB, which is why we use UV bulbs.

Also, spot type bulbs should not be used over tortoises. You need a flood type bulb.

What you have there is a simple thermal burn, not a UV burn. I think the title of your thread will confuse people. You got burned by a hot basking bulb, not a UV bulb.
Please could you send some pictures of some of these @Tom.

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Dear @Tom,

I've just realised what it is and of course that is the basking lamp. I do have a floodlight as well which is what I have been calling a heat bar and that is on all day.

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please could you send some pictures of some of these @Tom.

Thankyou very much

MaNaAk
Arcadia makes the flood bulbs too. They come in the same type of package but the labeling will say "Flood" in stead of "spot" bulb.

For UV, Arcadia makes the Pro T5 Kit. It is the bulb, fixture, and reflector all together in one convenient package. The bulb length doesn't matter. A 22" one is fine for larger enclosures, or you can get a longer one if you want. Any will work as long as it fits in your enclosure. UV tubes only need to run for a few hours mid day, so be sure you have enough other lighting, in addition to the basking bulb.

There is a heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom of this thread, even thought you are not new. :) :

MaNaAk

Southend
Arcadia makes the flood bulbs too. They come in the same type of package but the labeling will say "Flood" in stead of "spot" bulb.

For UV, Arcadia makes the Pro T5 Kit. It is the bulb, fixture, and reflector all together in one convenient package. The bulb length doesn't matter. A 22" one is fine for larger enclosures, or you can get a longer one if you want. Any will work as long as it fits in your enclosure. UV tubes only need to run for a few hours mid day, so be sure you have enough other lighting, in addition to the basking bulb.

There is a heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom of this thread, even thought you are not new. :) :
Yes I've got that one and it's a bit big for the enclosure but Jacky has a lot of lighting heat in a few weeks time I should be able to put her outside as it is warming up nicely here.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
You have an Arcadia strip T5 uvb?
Why are you worried about it?
Arcadia is most likely superior to ZOO MED. Though I only have experience with ZOO MED
I'm just keeping my hands well away from the lights after burning myself. Jacky wasn't very well but is now much better and when the weather warms up in a few weeks I should be able to put her outside.

MaNaAk

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm just keeping my hands well away from the lights after burning myself. Jacky wasn't very well but is now much better and when the weather warms up in a few weeks I should be able to put her outside.

MaNaAk
A florescent strip lamp doesn't generate enough heat to burn you