bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
How height of substrate I should put if I wanna grow some grasses inside the tank? I use jungle mixed as substrate.
by the way, would jungle mixed hold humidity well???
also, someone told me when tort trying to dig or borrow itself(especially hatchling), they could have eye effection. is that true?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know about the eye infection part, every one of my hatchlings of different species all burry themselves in the substrate when they settle in for the night, some deeper than others and I have never seen a problem.

Its up to you on how much substrate you want to use, I have always had a couple inches in mine so that my tortoises could burrow if they wanted and since I use real plants, I try to make sure to have enough substrate to maintain the roots so that all the plants will thrive.

HtVic

5 Year Member
thank you so much for reply
so how many inches usually for live plants to grow?

by the way, jungle mix is made of fir, sphagnum peat moss.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
In my box turtle enclosure, the soil depth varies from 3 inches in some spots to up to 6 inches in others. I try to put my live plants in the deeper parts but that also seem to be the spots my box turles love to dig and bury themselves at. I have replaced a few plants becuse the digging destroyed the roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.