Beginner needing advice. .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to be Daisy Downer, but the screen effectively blocks out the beneficial UVB rays from the light. Also, if the lights/heat are sitting directly on top of the plexi, the heat will melt the plastic.

Now you need a few plants to break the line of sight, and a hiding place or two.

I'm glad you are so willing to listen to us and make changes. Your baby will be healthier for it.

Chelsey

I'm sorry to be Daisy Downer, but the screen effectively blocks out the beneficial UVB rays from the light. Also, if the lights/heat are sitting directly on top of the plexi, the heat will melt the plastic.

Now you need a few plants to break the line of sight, and a hiding place or two.

I'm glad you are so willing to listen to us and make changes. Your baby will be healthier for it.

I also bought a light stand, I can take off the screen and use the light stand with no lid then. There is no plexi on this one, as this is a completely new cage. I bought a half log, just haven't put it in yet. What kind of plants, fake?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Either fake or real. I like to leave little succulents in the small clay pots, sitting the pots right down on the bare floor and adding the substrate after. This keeps the plant up a bit from those little trampling feet and biting mouths.

Those plant stand are the bomb! I bought 4 of them when I discovered them. Then I started making my own out of wood or pipe. I used the clamp lights for years, but once I discovered the stands - oh my!

You need the plexi or some sort of cover in order to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler house air out. Here's what I've done for some baby leopards:

baby leopards 4-14-16 a.jpg baby leopards 4-14-16 b.jpg

The little pyramided baby in the last picture is a rescue. I'm hoping he'll start growing a bit smoother now that's he's being kept more humid and warm.

Chelsey

These are the lights I purchased, however I just read coiled lights are a No-go. My local pet store doesn't have a MVB. Is there an alternative until I can buy one online? My turtle will be here in the morning.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...take that light ($20??????Geesh) and the basking spot back to the store for a refund. Go to Amazon.com and order your Mercury Vapor Bulb (heat and UVB in one bulb). Amazon ships almost instantly and you'll get it in a couple days. It's ok to do without UVB for a few days or a week until you get the right stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The 100 watt is all you need.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You want to get a zoomed turtle bone for calcium ......
..........or just some cuttlefish bone that they use for birds. You can either scrape a little over the food 2 or 3 times a week or leave it to be munched on - just remember to remove the plastic or metal cage clips.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Chesley and welcome.

Chelsey

..........or just some cuttlefish bone that they use for birds. You can either scrape a little over the food 2 or 3 times a week or leave it to be munched on - just remember to remove the plastic or metal cage clips.

Thanks! I bought one of those as well.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The tube UVB bulbs last around 6 months.

The MVB bulbs are more expensive but last around a year plus you don't need to pay for a basking bulb.

The maths works out if you shop around - which I didn't when I posted my links.

Chelsey

The tube UVB bulbs last around 6 months.

The MVB bulbs are more expensive but last around a year plus you don't need to pay for a basking bulb.

The maths works out if you shop around - which I didn't when I posted my links.

Just purchased a MVB online. I should be good to go now. The little guy should be ok with just a CHE for now until the MVB comes?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He should be fine. He may be a bit quiet without a basking source for a couple of days. Make sure you're soaking him twice daily until normality is established

Chelsey

He should be fine. He may be a bit quiet without a basking source for a couple of days. Make sure you're soaking him twice daily until normality is established

I currently have a CHE and 65w flood light. If I set the flood light on a 12 hour timer, but keep the CHE on, will the little go be ok at night heat wise?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I currently have a CHE and 65w flood light. If I set the flood light on a 12 hour timer, but keep the CHE on, will the little go be ok at night heat wise?
I don't know what temps are like in your home, but in most homes the CHE is only needed at night, sometimes not at all.

The 65W flood is your basking light I assume. That's the one to have on a timer for 12 hours a day.

There should be darkness at night, so no basking and no UVB at night. When your MVB arrived it replaces the flood and should be on the timer

Chelsey

I don't know what temps are like in your home, but in most homes the CHE is only needed at night, sometimes not at all.

The 65W flood is your basking light I assume. That's the one to have on a timer for 12 hours a day.

There should be darkness at night, so no basking and no UVB at night. When your MVB arrived it replaces the flood and should be on the timer

It's 70 degrees in my house. I purchased a 65watt flood lamp, but it burned out yesterday. With the CHE on, it's only 70-75 degrees in there. I am going to purchase a new flood light today. I have put the lights inside his tank now to see it that makes it warmer, does this look ok?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5