Beginner

Sonnerr

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque NM
My name is Sonnerr, and I am a new owner of a beautiful creature! I'm not sure what type of box turtle he is (I don't even know if he really is a 'He' yet either!) and I have so many questions! As I post this now, I am beginning to realise that maybe these are all questions I should have asked prior to owning a box turtle. If there are any links to beginner stuff that would be helpful, please let me know. Thank you for all your help.

p.s. I may have a lot of quesitons due to health concerns. Because I bought this little one from a feed store, I'm not sure what he has been through.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
If you post a picture of him and his enclosure you'll get a definite ID and good feedback to make sure he'll be safe and happy in his new home.
You may find some answers in this section and there's probably a caresheet too
Ask as many questions as you like there's lots of members happy to help

Sonnerr

Albuquerque NM
Hi and welcome,
If you post a picture of him and his enclosure you'll get a definite ID and good feedback to make sure he'll be safe and happy in his new home.
You may find some answers in this section and there's probably a caresheet too
Ask as many questions as you like there's lots of members happy to help
Thank you. I will take a look around. I posted a picture of Him. Hopefully someone can help me ID him.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Really? How can you tell?

Really? How can you tell?
Males usually have a concave plastron ( bottom of the shell) it's like and indentation. The have this so they can securely mount the female and mate. Males also have hind nails that resemble talons like a hawk. This is used to hook in and pry open the female shell from the rear when she"boxes" so they can mate. Males tails are also longer and the cloaca(butt hole/anal vent) is usually further away from the shell while the females tail is shorter and closer to the shell. Females back nails are kind of straighter for digging. It varies in species I believe. The best thing you can do is Google images of the difference between the two.