building my new baby's home.

adamgreen

So far I've bought a 45 gallon plastic storage container, 75 watt full spectrum bulb for uva and uvb, 2 pounds of timothy hay(as a small part of his/her diet), plain potting soil(peatmoss, to use as substrate), and 2 four inch terra cotta saucers(for food and water dishes).

Also I plan to buy a reptile thermostat, calcium power supplement, ceramic heater bulb, two porcelain light sockets, wood screws.

I Already have wiring, thermometer, terra cotta pots(to make hides out of), and basking stone.

I will get a humidity meter next month.

Should I modify the container to keep humidity in or out?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Yes you need to keep the humidity in. If you are getting a real young leopard personally I would skip the Timothy hay. My biggest suggestion to you is get everything set up and running before you get the tort. That includes the humidity gauge. You need to make sure everything is perfect.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No hay, they won't eat it and too drying for a substrate. Closed chamber for a hatchling up to a couple years. Read the stickie threads under the leopard section.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
should I make a few small ventilation holes?
Let's see what you have, most closed chambers aren't air tight but when you feed or open the enclosure for other reasons, air gets in. You shouldn't need vent holes.