Behavior change...hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
Hello, My little red foot Dots is healthy so far but his behavior has changed a bit. He is in a 55 gallon aquarium that I added a background to. It is a rain-forest looking backing. Anyway I recently add a strip across the front about 6 inches high. I did this to encourage him to come out of the hide with out being able to see outside. I have left him alone more as well. He will sometimes come to his food with tapping on the dish but it takes a good 10 minutes before he musters up the courage to go get it. Well today we tried to let him eat from the hand again, strawberries. He stayed shelled up, did not want to come out where as before he would have eaten them in a hurry! Should we take that 6 inch front strip of background down? I want him to be comfortable, but I want him to be comfortable with us as well.... What are some of your experiences with hatchlings and their human contact behavior?

thanks
cordell

chpete79

5 Year Member
I would give him a little time to adjust to his new surroundings before changing anything back. Just my opinion, good luck.

Chris

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I am thinking you should do what is comfortable for him..not you.

Time will make a bond between you guys and it doesnt have to be made as soon as you get him....

cordell

5 Year Member
Yeah, I have a little update. I tried again with the eating out of the hand. He was all over it! He even gave me a present, a poop in my hand, LOL. It could just be the adjusting to the new background. It hasnt been a week yet. I will keep a eye on the situation.

thanks
cordell

cordell

5 Year Member
I guess that day must have been a off day for him because he hasnt missed a beat since!

FriMar05112539CST2010.jpg

cordell

cordell

5 Year Member
lol Its funny because you can tell he is a little uncomfortable when he is out of his aquarium, but as soon as food is involved all that goes away! He goes into his own little world while eating, dog can be barking, kids running down the hall, all he is focused on is that little bit of food in front of his face!

cordell

Status
Not open for further replies.