Behavior changes. Should i be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
So I originally purchased 4 box turtles from the phx Herpetological society. The smallest one was doing fine besides not digging down and developed a white substance on his shell. He ended up passing away a few weeks after I got him.
Well I sanitized the entire enclosure and the rest seemed to do fine.
Mos was brumating though and didn't gain any weight or size but jack and manny grew and were up on occasion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding. What behavior changes? Or did you hit the "post reply" key before you finished typing?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Sorry didn't know it went through. I have been recieving error messages. Ok here's the rest of it:
Well starting a week or so ago moe came out of brumation I guess as he has been out more though not very active really. He just laws in a corner sleeping. Every now and then he will go in the pond or eat, though it isn't as often as he should be eating.
Manny stays in the pond on top of his filter and I hardly ever see him anywhere else.
Neither one digs down and burrows anymore.

Jack though is still eating like crazy, very active, swims, eats, and burrows just fine.

Their cage is a 20long aquarium. With 6-7in of bio active sphagnum peat moss. Pond with 74F water. Cool side varies from 72-78F and warm side peaks at 86-90F.
Die consists of redwigglers, superworms, mealworms, kiwi, strawberry, collards, squash, and whatever else I can find to give them.

Manny and jack love the bugs and eat a good bit of fruit salad mix. Moe eats a bug every now and then.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Jack sounds like he's thriving and doing good. Manny sounds like another typical box turtle just lazier. I would soak both o them every other day in warm water to assure they are stay hydrated and will help them digest a little. Also stimulates feeding cuz try warm up a little, after try feeding them that way you can monitor feedin too. Until they get comfy and start waking up eating when you put food down ect. On their own. Also digging In is one way box turtles sleep and they love doing it. If they don't dig Into the ground don't be worried sometimes they dig only a little and sleep above ground or in a hide. I have a female that sleeps in the same spot every night above ground in the open lol

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Ok thanks. I was just concerned that manny was spending all day and night in his pond for over a week. But he dug down yesterday as did moe so I guess they are back into their normal behavior.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Some will hang out in water days at a time, they love water some more then other. I have a girl that sits in her water all morning every day

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Next questions/ on manny the scutes seem to be indented a little is this normal in younger hatchlings? The other two boxies are perfectly smooth but they are also a different breed.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Do you have a UVB light for them ? That is very important for their development and should be placed about 12 inches from the ground of the cage ( or check the manufacturer directions )

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Yes they have a UVB tube that runs the entire length of their cage and is 9-12 inches from them (depends on if in their water[12] or on top of their land by the hut[9])

Status
Not open for further replies.