Tortoise doesn't move much, when should I get concerned?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I can see from previous times this has been posted general consensus is this is a fear thing, and he just needs time, but I guess I'm wondering how much time before I start to get concerned

Here goes... To begin with he's a 4 -5yo (maybe older) rescued male Russian, was originally purchased in a pet store and then mostly left to fend for himself in an outside yard with another Russian and a Redfoot, with some salad mix tossed his way as food. I've had him about 6 weeks and in that time he's definitely had lots of changes (modifications to indoor and outdoor space, but we are now mostly done, other than having newly planted "tortoise seed mix" just sprouting).

HIs new space is as follows: 2' x 6' indoor box with a hide on each end, one is a humid hide that he never goes into, the other he sleeps in at night. He also eats breakfast in the center and has a slate basking area under a 65 watt incandescent light bulb, kept at between 95-98 degrees. He's in this box most days from around 5pm at night until 10 ish in the morning, mostly asleep - he gets up around 8am and In general - he eats well, poops/pees well, gets soaked 3-4 times per week, and he definitely moves fast when he wants to. But mostly he doesn't want to...

When I take him outside into his daytime enclosure, which is 12' x 10' divided into two sections - an 8' x 10' space that is probably too "open" for him, but I just planted seeds so hopefully he will eventually feels safer in it, but it does have several hiding spaces including a humid hide, and the 4' x 10' section that is covered and has a "deep shade" section as well as a sunning section.

So here's the thing - I put him in the larger part of the outdoor enclosure, he makes a beeline for a given spot in the smaller space, and then stays there ALL DAY. He may move a half a foot or so to get in or out of the sun (he seems to like "Sun adjacent" where a part of his shell is in the sun the rest in shade) and at night he moves more into the deep shade area, but that's it. He doesn't walk around at all. I see videos of Russians wandering around, scoping out their territory, etc but he just doesn't do any of that. He just sits in the same spot all day...

Is this a cause for concern? It just seems odd to me that while he may move from spot A to spot B, or maybe on a wild and crazy day spot C, but that's it - all day he just sits. I don't MIND this at all, if that's what he wants to do, I just am concerned there's something else I should be doing for him...

Attachments

• IMG_5913 (1).jpg
    IMG_5913 (1).jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5910 (1).jpg
    IMG_5910 (1).jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5911 (1).jpg
    IMG_5911 (1).jpg
    711 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5912.jpg
    IMG_5912.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Added coverage from plants will help. Also more time. Adults can take longer then babies. He came from what sounds like hell. Then you did a bunch of changes, tortoises hate change. Then you are being him from his indoor enclosure to his outdoor enclosure, more constant change. What you are doing and did all sounds good but it just will make him take longer to get used to the new space and that those other tortoise intruders are not around.
If you can just leave him outside 24/7 for the summer months that would help him get adjusted to that space faster. Just lock him up in one of the outdoor hides each night and out in the morning.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes, original plan was for him to be outside 24/7, I actually have a heated "night box" set up in that deep shade area, but i got used to bringing him inside at night and it seemed "safer" (more temp controlled, no risk of predators, etc) but maybe that's making things worse...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, original plan was for him to be outside 24/7, I actually have a heated "night box" set up in that deep shade area, but i got used to bringing him inside at night and it seemed "safer" (more temp controlled, no risk of predators, etc) but maybe that's making things worse...
They can take temps down to 60 so heat shouldn't be needed in summer months. If you can lock/shut him in at night in one of the hides he should be fine.
If you would rather bring him in nightly that's fine too. Once he gets adjusted and used to the routine he should come around. Either way is fine.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It still gets into the 50s at night, but I have a heated night box setup built, just not tested yet. This gives met the motivation to finish…

thanks for your suggestions!