When to move outdoors?

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Just surveying the yard and thinking about what to do for outdoor summer space for our russian tortoise. By the time it is warm enough to be outside he will be 1. Should he be out for only hours, full days, or overnight if appropriate accommodations are made?

I already have an area of the yard where I have ornamental grass, strawberries and hostas...and nothing else! It is so crazy that I planted all those things, and just those things, before I had any idea that a tortoise would be in our lives! A house and power supply can also be made available.

Also, we have a large pine/spruce tree in our back yard so there are needles and cones around. I can keep his area free and clear for the most part, but it will be impossible for him not to encounter a pine needle or cone at some point. Are these dangerous for him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it. Some of my tortoises actually use the pine needles to build their nests.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure about russians, but for my leopard at that age, I would put him outside during the day and brought him back inside to his indoor enclosure at night. Make the outdoor enclosure as if he was staying out. Shade, water, hide, etc.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
If you have a house and power supply, I would leave him outside overnight. It is quite stressful for him to be carried around and switch the enclosure twice a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had great success with many species, including russians, using a big well designed indoor enclosure for night time and inclement weather, and an outdoor enclosure for milder weather and nice days. I leave them outside all day, soak them on the way in, and put them back out the next morning.

This practice has not caused me any problems, stress related or otherwise, in 3 decades of doing it with hundreds of tortoises of several species. I like having them inside in more stable controlled conditions at night, especially for youngsters like yours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And I've had pine trees in many of my enclosure over the years. It has never been an issue.