When outside tort doesn't move much

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsorg

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but thought i'd join to ask a question about the tortoise we have. We were given him a couple of years back when he was approx 2/3 years old. The previous owner had keep him in a flat all his life so he hadn't been outside at all before we got him.
He is a marginated tortoise, when we got him we took him to the vets and was given a health check and all ok. Slightly low with vitamins which we counteract with some sprinkles of Nutrobol on his food.
He has gained weight really well since we have owned him and was hibernated for the first time last winter, and again he came out fine afterwards.
My question is about him being outside. I have built a pretty good outdoor area for him, with plenty of shade, plenty of weeds, sunbathing areas etc...i thought he'd love it! However, he seems to just head for a shady spot in the weeds or under his house and stays there. The temperature could be lovely, 30' with clear blue skies and he still hides in the shade and doesn't move!....he literally stays in that one position all day long!!
Is this normal for a tortoise? My parents have a different breed and he seems really active, loves the sun and runs about everywhere......ours though just sits there and doesnt move. When he is in his vivarium he seems to want to come out all the time, but once hes out he doesnt move??

Does anyone know if this is normal or if his first few years being brought up in a flat means he simply doesnt like being outdoors in the sunshine?? I worry that he doesnt get enough UV from the sunshine when he is out side!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

Was the tortoise kept indoors at his previous home?

He is probably quite afraid outside in the big world. It may take a while for him to be comfortable enough to start exploring. Just keep putting him outside. He will eventually get used to the idea that no harm is going to come from being outside, and he will start moving around. Do you still offer food, or is he expected to graze? If you give him food, place it near the spot where he likes to hide, so that he doesn't have to expose himself to get to it. If he eats, then next week pull the feeding station a few inches away from that spot so he has to walk a little further to reach the food.

Good luck with your tortoise. I'm sure he'll be fine with a little tender loving care and lots of time.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I wouldn't worry about the UV while he is outside, even in the shade he will be getting some UV.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Yvonne G said:
He is probably quite afraid outside in the big world. It may take a while for him to be comfortable enough to start exploring. Just keep putting him outside. He will eventually get used to the idea that no harm is going to come from being outside, and he will start moving around.

Bingo. This was definitely the case with my young sulcata, but after a couple days he was wandering all over and nowadays he struts around like he owns the place... which I guess he kinda does.

Keep any eye on him, but trust him to know what he needs to a certain extent as well.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
How long has he been outdoors and what time of day is it when he's outside? This spring we adopted two juvenile CDTs who were raised indoors. It was quite a transition for them to living outdoors. The first few days outside they were timid and stayed in their hides except when we lured them out with food. Then they paced almost manically for a day after we changed their substrate. Now they've settled into their homes for the most part, though any time we make a change to the enclosure they act a little timid for a day. They are most active in the morning and early evening hours. Between 10am and 5pm they're basically in their hides, either sleeping or peeking out from their safe, shady place.

Status
Not open for further replies.