Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Here is the latest update:

She is constantly under the log (see the post on her enclosure to see which log).

If I remove her from there and place her near the food, she will eat, then she will walk around the tank for a bit and go back under the log. buries herself in... basically likes to sleep alllll day.

If I put her outside of the enclosure, she loves running all over. she wont sit still for a minute. and... it is about 70-75F in my house at all times in winter

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I think Yvonne advised you on a different thread that your little Redfoot is probably running on the floor because she feels exposed and afraid of being eaten.

I think you also said your tortoise is new, so it sounds like she is settling into her enclosure in a very measured, normal way.

Redfoots need lots of hides on both sides of their enclosure so they have several choices and don't feel like they are vulnerabe to the first hungry predator that comes along. You can't change those basic instincts, but you can help her feel more secure in her home.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
It is very dependent on a tortoises personality how much they show themselves. Some tortoises, like mine, are really quite active and don't hideout until the evening. Some torts can take years before they become comfortable, some never do.

Status
Not open for further replies.