Bells hingeback care queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomboosh

5 Year Member
Hello, I am looking into rehoming an adult bells hingeback. I know they need a warm humid home but I cannot find a vivarium large enough for an adult that doesnt cost a bomb. I am planning to use a tortoise table, 6ft x 3ft in size.. I have decided against a combined uvb/basking bulb as i know hingebacks rarely bask and avoid bright lights. So I am ordering a 5% uvb strip bulb and reflector to go along the back of the table and am using a few ceramic heat emitting bulbs for the heat. I am going to make some humid hides from plastic storage boxes, ive read that they like to hide and this will mean they are getting the humidiity at the same time. I am planting some grassy plants (safe for torts) in the enclosure to help with the humidity and for him to hide amongst, and i'm building a lid for one half of the table to also help keep in some of the humidity. For the substrate I'm using top soil, slate gravel and sphagnum moss, slate tile for a feeding plate and a paint roller tray as a water dish/ bath. If any one here keeps bells hingbacks and agrees or disagress with my plans, or can give me any advice on how to improve my plan before i start building that would be much appreciated. thanks :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like a good plan... for a Homes or an Erosa, but Bells do with less humidity then them and more light. Bells will bask more then the others too, but even they sometimes like to bask. Your saying your going to use " a few CHEs" what temps are you planning on keeping him (or her) at?

tomboosh

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Sounds like a good plan... for a Homes or an Erosa, but Bells do with less humidity then them and more light. Bells will bask more then the others too, but even they sometimes like to bask. Your saying your going to use " a few CHEs" what temps are you planning on keeping him (or her) at?

I'm using a 6ft x 3ft table so will prob have a heat bulb at either end, and the uv tube along the side. I found some dark night spot bulbs which give off low light so will prob scrap the ceramic heat emitter idea. Going to aim for late 20 degrees C (26-29) throughout the table

Status
Not open for further replies.