Best alternative to PVC

baker247365

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've gotten multiple quotes now for both custom built and for the materials to DIY but it's just not affordable for me at the moment.

What material would be the best alternative?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Buy one of these. This is an older pic. So Google search and check Amazon. Usually a large one 3x12 or 3x9 easily under a hundred. Just add a cheap tarp for the floor. Yes, used inside.
20240215_075123-COLLAGE.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What are you wanting to build?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my OPINION:

Setting up a PVC enclosure depends upon 1) what species 2) how old it is

When I started hatching a whole lotta' leopard babies my tortoise partner watched craigs list, facebook, etc. looking for reptile enclosures. He was able to buy a couple Vision Cages for $100 each. They served me well, raising the smoothest leopards ever. Which only lived in there at the longest for 6 months, then off to the sales they went.

BUT - it wouldn't be economical to buy a PVC enclosure if I was going to put MY own pet tortoise in it, especially a sulcata. They outgrow the space too quickly. As an example, two Septembers ago I put three very small hatchling desert tortoises in one of the Vision Cages, and now, Year and six months later, they're too big for the space. All the plants are long gone. The water is dirty five minutes after cleaning. They walk all over each other. And they WANT OUT!

In my opinion it would be much cheaper to buy two of the biggest plastic tubs you can find and cut off opposing ends so you can put them together to make one bigger plastic tub. Then build some sort of framework around it to support the lights and wrap it in plastic sheeting ( or a table top greenhouse from amazon).

baker247365

Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have a 1 year old Russian and I was wanting to build an indoor closed enclosure. Things is that I'm short on space so it was going to be a 2 level structure so having multiple bins also wouldn't work (and mine seemed to become brittle quickly).

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a 1 year old Russian and I was wanting to build an indoor closed enclosure. Things is that I'm short on space so it was going to be a 2 level structure so having multiple bins also wouldn't work (and mine seemed to become brittle quickly).
What size space can you do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Multiple large bins, then wrapping in plastic and all that would cost more or the same as one of the enclosures I pictured anyway.
One of the enclosures pictured would work great and for a couple years. They come 3 wide by anywhere from 4, 6, 9 and 12 feet long,maybe longer. Get a 3x6 raised bed for now and build on it in a couple years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went with a raised bed and greenhouse. Mine can be 2-4x4 or 4x8. I used it as 2-4x8 as I have two tortoises and they needed their own space.
This is what I was going to suggest. Glad you mentioned it. Can you post pics?

@baker247365, The benefit of the PVC is that it is plastic. It will never rot and never needs to be painted. A simple inexpensive plastic raised garden bed will do the same thing. If you enclose it in a green house tent like what Wellington posted you'll have a makeshift closed chamber. The greenhouse won't insulate as well as the PVC, but it should hold in heat better than nothing.

Wood just does not work well for closed chambers. Water will find a way to get to the wood and rot it.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
This is what I was going to suggest. Glad you mentioned it. Can you post pics?

@baker247365, The benefit of the PVC is that it is plastic. It will never rot and never needs to be painted. A simple inexpensive plastic raised garden bed will do the same thing. If you enclose it in a green house tent like what Wellington posted you'll have a makeshift closed chamber. The greenhouse won't insulate as well as the PVC, but it should hold in heat better than nothing.

Wood just does not work well for closed chambers. Water will find a way to get to the wood and rot it.
I bought this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Then I did this to it. Added the plastic to the lower sides.

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_200339792_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230218_200339792_HDR.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230218_200303500_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230218_200303500_HDR.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 4

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I'm worried about pyramiding as it seems that he has a slight amount already.

At least I thought the humidity was the possible reason.
Maybe in your case pyramiding happens because of the heat/UVB lamps hanging too low - they can dry out the top of the shell (growth on the sides looks smooth).