Best Fecal analysis???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
What should I ask my vet to do in terms of method of fecal examination to determine parasites such as flagyletes, hexamita, and the other usual type parasites.

I think a floatation is done upon request and also the usual smear for the microscope.(I think these are the only methods that can be done locally)

What is the best way and can one do their own fairly well if need be.
I have a microscope but not powerful enough.If it were worthwhile I may consider getting the basic equipment if need be.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's all that's necessary. The parasite eggs (round worm, etc) are visible in a floatation. But you would need a microscope to see the flagellates.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks Yvonne
Do many tortoise keepers do their own?
I was thinking that a centrifuge was needed for some fecal analysis?
I have had flegellates checked before and of course there was some but the vet didn't know how many were normal in terms of numbers.
Do we just assume we need treatment if they are there and we have symptoms such as lethargym anorexia etc?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I use to do alot of fecals when I worked at a vet in the hospital. Float is best. You have to have fecalizer solution and wait 10 minutes before looking at it under microscope. Smear can work as well. But float is much better. Cantrifuge is for blood and plasma analaysis wont do much for fecal exam that im aware of.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
At the clinic I work at, clients have the option of in-house fecal test, which is the float, or to send it to the lab for ova/parasite & giardia...

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Thanks everyone-good to know.
I think I need a good veterinary, medical type book to read too, maybe I can ask my vet if they would purchase one.(they seem really expensive)These two anyways

Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2e [Hardcover]
Douglas R. Mader (Author)

Medicine and Surgery of Tortoises and Turtles [Hardcover]
Stuart McArthur (Editor), Roger Wilkinson (Editor), Jean Meyer (Editor)

Status
Not open for further replies.