DIY Fecal/Microscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
so about a week ago, i went in to see my old bio teacher seeing if i could buy a microscope off him that he doesn't use. Today i went in and he said he had one, and he just gave it to me! i was pretty surprised as they are not cheap! i would like to just study and get to know what is going on inside my torts and any tort! like parasites, bacteria, and just helpful intestinal micro organisms in the body.
even attempt to try smear exams/fecal tests.
my question is, does anyone know enough to maybe help me and share information? and maybe give me some links to what to look for and how to identify a parasite or organism... (i will look to try and find the book on reptile parasites!)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This might be about up your alley... http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Fecaltest.html Plus the book, "Understanding Reptile Parasites" by Roger Klingenberg is supposed to be a good one. I have an older copy, and it's an interesting read... Just not terribly useful when you don't have parasites to identify and/or materials for a fecal exam (I believe it has instructions for those--haven't browsed my copy in awhile). But you do have one or both of those, so it should be a good one for you to pick up. :)

That's about as helpful as I can get on this subject, though. Hope some of the info is useful to you!

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Floof said:
This might be about up your alley... http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Fecaltest.html Plus the book, "Understanding Reptile Parasites" by Roger Klingenberg is supposed to be a good one. I have an older copy, and it's an interesting read... Just not terribly useful when you don't have parasites to identify and/or materials for a fecal exam (I believe it has instructions for those--haven't browsed my copy in awhile). But you do have one or both of those, so it should be a good one for you to pick up. :)

That's about as helpful as I can get on this subject, though. Hope some of the info is useful to you!

thanks!!! :]

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad you are taking this on. Please keep us informed with your progress and experience. It would be great to be able to do your own fecal exams and save the $$ at the vet. You can teach us all "Fecal 101". :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.