DIY Fecal exams

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I haven't noticed anyone on the forum who does their own fecal exams. It isn't hard to do correctly and is a lot easier (and cheaper) than bringing a sample to a vet. Not only can you see any parasites,you will see how much beneficial bacteria are present,a good indicator of internal health. We spend a lot of time observing the exterior of our torts. When you can see whats going on inside,it can be very interesting and sometimes,very insightful. It's not rocket science-if I can do it,anyone on the forum can. There are some really good tutorials by vetrinarians on the net. My father,who raises dogs, has done them for years. This is where I learned. I got a good deal on my scope on ebay. One good place to start is
http://startortoises.net/fecal-exams.html
There is a decent tutorial in the links at the bottom of the page.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the idea of it, but I don't have a microscope.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
emysemys said:
The scope I have retails for over 900.00.I got it on ebay for a little over 80.00.I love the convenience of it and it really provides a window into their health.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That's a cool idea- that would be really interesting!
Maybe some day, but not with my one tortoise right now. (Not to mention I am an unemployed recent college grad, and can't exactly afford to splurge ;))

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
jackrat said:
emysemys said:
The scope I have retails for over 900.00.I got it on ebay for a little over 80.00.I love the convenience of it and it really provides a window into their health.

What kind of microscope is it?

Some day I'd like to start doing this myself.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
PeanutbuttER said:
jackrat said:
emysemys said:

What kind of microscope is it?

Some day I'd like to start doing this myself.
Variscope.I also have an older model American optical that is a good scope.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would buy the equipment in an instant if I could learn from a person rather than the web and books. I guess I don't want to spend the money without a mentor. Its really not that I want to take the easy way out, learning from others builds confidence. I just want to do it right!

If I bought the equipment, could you give basics thru e mail and/or an occasional phone call?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
bettinge said:
I would buy the equipment in an instant if I could learn from a person rather than the web and books. I guess I don't want to spend the money without a mentor. Its really not that I want to take the easy way out, learning from others builds confidence. I just want to do it right!

If I bought the equipment, could you give basics thru e mail and/or an occasional phone call?
I would be happy to.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Cool, I'll look into some equipment. I almost bought a scope on e bay last year, but chickened out at the last second. I hate buying things and not using them. Odd, but this is something I would like to learn. I've had two fecals done in 5 years, so its hard to justify other than wanting to learn.

Do you have a list of basic equipment needed? Scope, slides, solution????

Status
Not open for further replies.