Best substrate for baby sulcata in a 40 gallon tank?

Utapie

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I know there's probably multiple threads asking this but I really want to make sure I get the best for my future little guy.
What substrate would be good for a baby Sulcata in a 40 gallon tank? I keep reading people say coco coir, cypress mulch, and such but then I hear negative things about them too so I wanted to know what's the best and which can I mix to make things better?

Would using Zoo meds Exo earth, exo terror forest bark, or exo terror coco husk be any good?
Any good brands I should buy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know there's probably multiple threads asking this but I really want to make sure I get the best for my future little guy.
What substrate would be good for a baby Sulcata in a 40 gallon tank? I keep reading people say coco coir, cypress mulch, and such but then I hear negative things about them too so I wanted to know what's the best and which can I mix to make things better?

Would using Zoo meds Exo earth, exo terror forest bark, or exo terror coco husk be any good?
Fine grade orchid bark is best. Cypress mulch can also work. Coco coir is safe, but its messy and not recommended for this species.

A 40 gallon tank is going to be too small very quickly. If it has the usual open top, you won't be able to maintain that correct temperatures and humidity.

These are just a couple of the things you need to know to keep your new baby alive and well. Please take the time to read through this thread at least a couple of times. There is a sulcata care sheet near the bottom with even more specific care info. You will be very sad if you end up learning these things the hard way. Pet stores and most online sources give terrible advice.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Carlsbad, CA

if you're not already committed to your "future little guy." maybe the 5 month old re-home in previous post also in Las Vegas?

Utapie

Las Vegas
if you're not already committed to your "future little guy." maybe the 5 month old re-home in previous post also in Las Vegas?
Oh my! I didn't see that! I'd gladly take it off their hands! I've been watching and reading so many articles on here on how to raise tortoises so I'm excited!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh my! I didn't see that! I'd gladly take it off their hands! I've been watching and reading so many articles on here on how to raise tortoises so I'm excited!
But a 40 gallon is not big enough but for a very short time. Be sure you have the room to get a bigger one and then the room to put him outside to live in a year or two.

Utapie

Las Vegas
But a 40 gallon is not big enough but for a very short time. Be sure you have the room to get a bigger one and then the room to put him outside to live in a year or two.
Yes I know! It's just till it outgrows it. I know turtles grow big and quickly.