Best tortoise for a beginner

Jake78

Hi I'm new to the tortoise world... And I'm looking for a good beginner tortoise... From general care to diet... I also built a turtle table and I was wondering if I could use it for a hatchling... Thanks ImageUploadedByTortForum1394072691.500926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I think the hardiest tortoise for a beginner, would be a Russian tortoise. That said, I've got 11 russians that were all given to me by folks that thought they wanted a tortoise until the, “Holy crap! They live longer than dogs do?" Stage hit. So make sure you're ready for one, forever, before you get one.

For a beginner I actually agree a Russian tortoise is a good one. I made a mistake and choose 2 baby Sulcatas for my beginning tortoises[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] However they are doing great as of right now[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jake, and welcome to the Forum!

You've made a nice enclosure, however, it is a bit small, and the sides are too short. After you've added about 4" of substrate the tortoise, even a baby one, would be able to climb right out.

I suggest you get an adult Russian tortoise and set him up outside. They do pretty well in the cooler climates, and quite a few folks in the UK have them living outside in their gardens year round. Just make sure you build him a safe and secure habitat because they climb and dig and are excellent escape artists.

Jake78

Hi thanks for all the helpful info... I've been reading a lot about the Russians, the only thing I don't like is they were all wild caught... I just don't like taking an animal from its wild habitat... Where as I was looking at Greeks, red and yellow foot and also sulcata even though they get big I have the room

abclements

5 Year Member
Red foots, leopards and sulcatas are among the more tedious hatchlings to keep. That being said, after a hfs disaster with a hermanns, I went straight for the red foots. If you spend some time getting a nice closed chamber built/set up, they're really not that hard to take care of. If you want a non-closed chamber tort, Then I would suggest purchasing a Greek or hermanns from tortoise supply or Arizona tortoise compound.

That all being said, I do agree with the fact that Russians are the hardiest ones out there.